Gamblers Anonymous Forum

Full Version: I was not able to express a gratitude appreciation or patience before my recovery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I was not able to express a gratitude appreciation or patience before my recovery and questioned myself why not.

What was gratitude appreciation, in time I understood by expressing my  gratitude and appreciation ws an expression of how healthy my values were.

My lack of patience and tolerance only indicated how hard I was on myself.

The recovery program could not resolve my unhealthy attitudes that had to be my own choice.

One day when were in Florida we were just leaving our hotel room.

There was a lady in the corridor cleaning other rooms.

I asked Shirley to go on to the lifts while I talked to the lady.

I asked the lady cleaning the rooms did you clean our room, her very first reaction was shock or fear on her face.

The lady cleaning the rooms said yes, I then thanked her for doing a very good job and let her know that she was very much appreciated.

The change in the ladies face was very powerful to me.

Then I walked on to join my wife and I asked myself why could I not be so grateful and show it to all people.

That experience changed me in some very healthy ways.

Was it healthy to take so many people for granted.

So to express a gratitude and appreciation was an expression of my values.

It was not person pleasing, it was not trying to get some thing for nothing.

One day I was having a meal with another person in recovery, it was a great meal and I asked the waitress for the bill.

The waitress leaned over and whispered in my ear there is no charge.

I was completed shocked and surprised, yet I could not believe what happened.

It was the very first time that had happened to me and I talked about it with the other person.

Did we both think that if we had not been in our recovery that would have happened the same way.

So my healthy interaction with all people changes how I feel about myself and other people.

The thinking is that we are not able to change other people in our life.

Is that true, surely our being in recovery helps us come out of our self in healthy ways.

Do our healthy actions words interactions help other people nurture and encourage them self to come out even more.

The therapies we give not only help us open up more, to let our hurt inner child to come out more.

The therapies help us reduce our fears but open us to more trust.

To live my life today with healthy interactions rather than reacting in unhealthy ways.

My rage my anger only indicated that my inner child was not healed as yet.

How much do I value myself today.

How much time and effort am I willing to put in to my recovery today.

Love and peace to every one.

Dave L

AKA Dave of Beckenham