Gamblers Anonymous Forum

Full Version: Enough is enough...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’ve been gambling for the duration of my adult life. It started off as £x on the football at the weekend. The occasional £x. 

I started gambling more after a few big wins. Not more as in huge amounts but more frequently. Staying up until 3/4am on a work night gambling on anything and anything. £x on who wins the next point in a tennis match, to £x on a random hockey games etc. I’d put £x into my account and play until I’d lost it all or fell asleep. This then progressed to gambling bigger amounts in an attempt to make quick easy cash. Then the dangerous part started, chasing my losses. Thankfully at this point I stopped once my savings were gone. 

A few months later I had another decent win, this then lead to another bad stint of gambling. My father asked me to look after a substantial amount of money, little did myself or him know, I would then go onto gambling the lot. By the time he asked for me to send it back to him, I had to take out a loan to cover my arse. At this point I self excluded myself from gambling. A year down the line I’m in a better financial position that I was. I’ve still been gambling but it’s been much smaller amounts with friends and bookies I know. During this year, I’d been playing lots of sport and going to the gym regularly as a distraction. 

Since the pandemic has been around, I’ve not been able to distract myself. I’ve started gambling much more than I can afford again. I’m currently working from home and I’m extremely distracted from my job. I’m lucky enough to have a good paying job with a great career path. I’ve tried to stop gambling on my own and distract myself but I’m really struggling! I’ve been feeling really anxious recently too, this is a feeling I’ve never felt and I believe it’s to do with my gambling. I worry about answering simple questions. I worry when the door bell rings or the house phone. I just constantly feel on edge. I’m really worried that I’m going to lose my job through being anxious and distracted, which has huge knock on effects, such as not being able to afford my debts. 

Despite being in a large amount of debt, I’ve calculated how I can get out of the tunnel (providing I stop gambling). Is there any advice on how I can distract myself? Is it the gambling that’s making me feel anxious, and how do I stop this feeling? This is the first time I’ve spoke to anyone about my addiction, my father is unaware of how I paid his money back or that I lost it in the first place. Any tips and advice on how I can stop gambling? 

Any help would be massively appreciated! 

Thank you, 
S
Hey S,

Thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully others will reply to you soon.

Youve mentioned you've stopped and then cut back your gambling, so what you do next depends on what you want to happen next. Have you considered counselling and / or attending your local GA meeting?

There is a lot of support out there if you want it. Maybe reply back with anything else you've tried strategy wise.

Look forward to hearing from you soon...

Smartie
(23-11-2020, 11:12 PM)Decider1234 Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve been gambling for the duration of my adult life. It started off as £x on the football at the weekend. The occasional £x. 

I started gambling more after a few big wins. Not more as in huge amounts but more frequently. Staying up until 3/4am on a work night gambling on anything and anything. £x on who wins the next point in a tennis match, to £x on a random hockey games etc. I’d put £x into my account and play until I’d lost it all or fell asleep. This then progressed to gambling bigger amounts in an attempt to make quick easy cash. Then the dangerous part started, chasing my losses. Thankfully at this point I stopped once my savings were gone. 

A few months later I had another decent win, this then lead to another bad stint of gambling. My father asked me to look after a substantial amount of money, little did myself or him know, I would then go onto gambling the lot. By the time he asked for me to send it back to him, I had to take out a loan to cover my arse. At this point I self excluded myself from gambling. A year down the line I’m in a better financial position that I was. I’ve still been gambling but it’s been much smaller amounts with friends and bookies I know. During this year, I’d been playing lots of sport and going to the gym regularly as a distraction. 

Since the pandemic has been around, I’ve not been able to distract myself. I’ve started gambling much more than I can afford again. I’m currently working from home and I’m extremely distracted from my job. I’m lucky enough to have a good paying job with a great career path. I’ve tried to stop gambling on my own and distract myself but I’m really struggling! I’ve been feeling really anxious recently too, this is a feeling I’ve never felt and I believe it’s to do with my gambling. I worry about answering simple questions. I worry when the door bell rings or the house phone. I just constantly feel on edge. I’m really worried that I’m going to lose my job through being anxious and distracted, which has huge knock on effects, such as not being able to afford my debts. 

Despite being in a large amount of debt, I’ve calculated how I can get out of the tunnel (providing I stop gambling). Is there any advice on how I can distract myself? Is it the gambling that’s making me feel anxious, and how do I stop this feeling? This is the first time I’ve spoke to anyone about my addiction, my father is unaware of how I paid his money back or that I lost it in the first place. Any tips and advice on how I can stop gambling? 

Thank you, 
S

Hi

Only when you get honest with my self that my addictions and obsessions were unhealthy could I do some thing about it.

Enough is setting a healthy boundary for myself.

A healthy boundary is the start of me valuing myself.

In time I would understand that my addictions and obsessions were just the symptoms that I was emotionally vulnerable.

The money was just the fuel for my addictions.

No amount of money would get me any way emotional resolve or heal my inner child.

Money only gives me more choice, money and material things were going going to help me find peace with in myself.

Enough is enough is a healthy boundary, it is was not about person pleasing any one.

Enough is enough indicates that I have enough of self abuse.

To put more time in to meetings and having in depth therapies with like minded people who want a healthier life today.

Love and peace to every one.

Dave L

Dave of Beckenham.
(23-11-2020, 11:12 PM)Decider1234 Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve been gambling for the duration of my adult life. It started off as £x on the football at the weekend. The occasional £x. 

Thank you, 
S

It is interesting you use the wording distract myself, I was able to move from unhealthy addictive and unhealthy obsessive habits towards healthy motivated habits by understanding my needs my wants and my goals.

In order to keep focused it required of me to write down my needs my wants and my goals and once done to cross them out.

This daily accountability to myself helped me over come unhealthy procrastinations escape unhealthy unhealthy triggers unhealthy distractions and unhealthy triggers.

Thank you for your sharing.

Love and peace to every one.

Dave L

AKA Dave Of Beckenham