Gamblers Anonymous Forum

Full Version: Credit cards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi chaps I understood gambling with a credit card has been stopped but I’ve been able to bet ... how can this happen please ? how are these sights getting around the law ?
Hi Roger, many GA members have asked a family member or close friend to take over our finances. This way there is no access to funds in order to have a bet. Speak to other members at a meeting for advice. It may help you.
(29-04-2021, 05:07 PM)Webmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Roger, many GA members have asked a family member or close friend to take over our finances. This way there is no access to funds in order to have a bet. Speak to other members at a meeting for advice. It may help you.
Good of you, not sure my wife would understand... quite correctly...
Hey Roger,

Compulsive gambling can be a serious addiction and understanding from the gamblers perspective can be hard enough never mind from the perspective of our loved ones.

To answer your specific question, i spoke with the credit cards directly. They should be able to guide you. They were very useful in my case.

Have you sought any additional support?

Smartie
(06-05-2021, 01:10 PM)smartie Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Roger,

Compulsive gambling can be a serious addiction and understanding from the gamblers perspective can be hard enough never mind from the perspective of our loved ones.

To answer your specific question, i spoke with the credit cards directly.  They should be able to guide you.  They were very useful in my case.

Have you sought any additional support?

Smartie
Thanks Smartie ... with the aid of gamban and gamstop I’ve been a good boy ... generally all I need is a barrier and having no easy access really helps, I was hoping the no betting on credit cards would be an additional method but it seems the law is useless as it’s too easy for some idiot like me to find a site that will take my money ... as I said, hopefully, I’ve got it under control. Good of you to take the time ...
Control is a tricky thing in my recovery. Some days i think i've got it, other days i'm reminded i still have work to do.

Blcokers (such as gamban, gamstop etc) help for sure, but like you say, blockers can be overcome with the right time and knowledge. Not found a blocker yet that will stop me gambling, but they do make it harder and allow my recovery tools to kick in.

Hope you continue on your journey rogertb....in unity Smartie xx
(17-05-2021, 03:44 PM)smartie Wrote: [ -> ]Control is a tricky thing in my recovery.  Some days i think i've got it, other days i'm reminded i still have work to do.

Blcokers (such as gamban, gamstop etc) help for sure, but like you say, blockers can be overcome with the right time and knowledge.  Not found a blocker yet that will stop me gambling, but they do make it harder and allow my recovery tools to kick in.

Hope you continue on your journey rogertb....in unity Smartie xx

Thanks yet again Smartie, your comments are genuinely helpful, good of you.
Hi

Being in recovery I found that using credit cards and not paying them off was very expensive.

Only using them on things I both want or need that I can pay off monthly was far more healthy.

I did not want to know how much more I was paying each month or year.

People were making a living on my pains of living on credit.

Yet in my recovery it was recommended that I did not carry to much cash on myself.

So then the understanding how much money do I carry on my person each day.

It worked out to be ten per day.

Yet if I was suppose to know what I should carry on my person why did I not know that.

Today because I am able to trust myself even more and be healthy I carry slightly more but this after being clean many years.

The simple question how much do I value myself and how much do I trust myself today.

Remembering the cash was only the fuel for my addictions.

I do not need or want to get drunk today.

I do not need or want to gamble today.

At what point in my life was I going to listen and learn as to hwat I need to do to get healthy once more.

Love and best wishes

Dave L

AKA Dave of Beckenham
Pages: 1 2