Gamblers Anonymous Forum

Full Version: GA Rooms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all. my name is Keith and I’m a compulsive gambler. Back trying to find my will and peace of mind. I had all of this and more when joining GA around 2000. Following the steps to recovery one day at a time I had 16 years of abstainance . Then out of the blue around 5 years ago I caved to that demon voice that said to me go on have a bet it will be fine. Well the inevitable happened and pretty soon I was spiralling out of control. Back to the depths of the dream world of a compulsive gambler. 5 years of hell. But on day 2 and determined to gain control one step at a time. Keith
(19-11-2021, 09:47 AM)KF1960 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all. my name is Keith and I’m a compulsive gambler. Back trying to find my will and peace of mind. I had all of this and more when joining GA around 2000. Following the steps to recovery one day at a time I had 16 years of abstainance . Then out of the blue around 5 years ago I caved to that demon voice that said to me go on have a bet it will be fine. Well the inevitable happened and pretty soon I was spiralling out of control. Back to the depths of the dream world of a compulsive gambler. 5 years of hell. But on day 2 and determined to gain control one step at a time. Keith

Hi Keith 

It took me over 21 years to get seriously how recovery worked for me.

I was told that each tie I went back to gambling was to learn from it and what were my emotional triggers were.

Sadly the way I use to think was because I went back to gambling I had lost my clean time, that was not true often it was only a few days that were unhealthy.

My job was on the road and I had long periods of time understanding what my feelings were.

The recovery program helped me move from talking about gambling or money lost.

Once my fears reduced I gave therapies which disclosed how vulnerable I was.

I remember being able to talk at some depth about my feelings and emotions but was unable to talk to any depth to my wife.

My procrastination was a  big problem for me, lack of confidence, lack of self esteem, not being fully committed to myself and more important was not writing my needs my wants and my goals on a regular basis.

In my healing I was able to live with out fear in my life, I wasted less time, I became more and more self sufficient.

Now today I am able to do things at one time I thought were impossible and unachievable.

Each unhealthy habit I exchanged for a healthy habit made me more productive in every avenue of my life.

Please stick with your recovery you are very much worth it.

Love and peace to every one.

Dave L

AKA Dave Of Beckenham
Hi Dave. Thank you. I am on day 18 now and one day at a time on the recovery program I am feeling stronger by the day. And just for today I will not gamble. And if I dont gamble today it will make me stronger to face tomorrow. Procrastination seems to prevalent in almost all compulsive gamblers and me also. I am revisiting all the literature and when you do this you wonder why you ever stopped. I will live this day only for I cannot live tomorrow today. Yours in recovery keith
Great to hear Keith, how has it been so far returning to meetings?

Smartie xx
(24-12-2021, 04:48 PM)smartie Wrote: [ -> ]Great to hear Keith, how has it been so far returning to meetings?

Smartie xx

Hi Smartie. Yes very good thank you. On day 37 now and just for today I did not gamble. I would just like to wish everyone in recovery and those striving for a calmer life a happy Xmas  and peaceful and happy new year. Just For Today.