Gamblers Anonymous Forum

Full Version: Gambling: Addiction or Habit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Just want to throw this question out there to see what sort of response it brings.

Is gambling really an addiction or is it just a habit?????

I have spent/lost several 10's maybe even 100's of thousands of pounds over the years and after my last major mess up I went to my first GA meeting almost 6 weeks ago and have been every week since (and I will continue to attend meetings in the future just maybe not every week).

Have I admitted to people that I have a gambling problem, quite simply yes I have. But the most important person who needed to admit it was me! Before attending a meeting I told myself that I had a problem and I thought that I had admitted it to myself then, but the truth of it is that I am only just now (probably over the last couple of weeks or so) fully admitting to myself that I have a problem with gambling, But does this mean that I'm a gambling addict? I thought it did until after having a conversation with my partner and I now believe that I'm indeed not a gambling addict but I do accept and fully admit that I am a extremely selfish person who has a very compulsive personality and that I had let gambling become a habit.

I have lots of habits (some of them you could even call OCD habits) but not a single one of these other habits has ever effected or hurt anyone else.

Although this sounds very controversial, I don't believe that I'm a recovering gambling addict as I have nothing to recover from!! What I have done over the previous few weeks and will continue to do is break/change my habit.

Each morning when I wake up I don't say to myself "Today I will not gamble" but every day when I wake I will say to myself "Today I will not be selfish, and let my habits hurt anyone close to me"

I'm not trying to come over arrogant or to even be controversial, this is just how I feel. Human nature means that we all like to be told "well done" but to be perfectly honest I don't want a well done for not having a bet for x amount of time. I constantly remind myself how MY selfishness has hurt those that I love and cherish.

However you look at your habit/problem/illness/addiction or any other wording you wish to use I wish you well for the future

Stay safe

MJH