Gamblers Anonymous Forum
My desire to gamble has completely disappeared! - Printable Version

+- Gamblers Anonymous Forum (https://forum.gamblersanonymous.org.uk)
+-- Forum: Main Forum (https://forum.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Share Section (https://forum.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: My desire to gamble has completely disappeared! (/showthread.php?tid=4144)

Re: My desire to gamble has completely disappeared! - smartie - 03-09-2013

Hi Cg

As I said to you on chat yesterday really happy for you, but no nothing similar about my story at all.

Copying this from Big Dave's contribution as it says it better than anything else I could share...

This forum is not set up to help people stop gambling. There are not hoards of counsellors waiting behind the scenes for people to post so they can swoop in and advise them. There also aren't a group of employees paid to manage the website 24hrs a day.

This forum should be looked at as an aid for newcomers really (pointing them in the right direction) and is in no way a cure or partial cure for compulsive gambling. Gamblers Anonymous is a Fellowship which has its main focus on group meetings.

This forum and the chat room are merely additions made to the website that have proved helpful and informative to some GA members. They are certainly not there for an individual to attain abstinence from gambling.

If they can, then that's great, but I do not know of anyone who has so far. There are a few dedicated GA members who give up their free time to moderate these areas of the site.

There is no quick fix to compulsive gambling. Although, when we first stopped gambling, most of us were looking for one. Things can seem a little slow but we do our best.

tc Smartie xx

Re: My desire to gamble has completely disappeared! - BigDave - 04-09-2013

Hi cg2013x4

It is great that you have managed to stop gambling by reading a book. I certainly wish it were as simple as that for me. I tried many things (that miserably failed) before I eventually had to go to GA and then found the guidance I was looking for.

It was wrong of smartie to quote one of my posts, especially in this case. It is not relevant and certainly would not be something I would use to reply to your thread. I do find it strange that you would come to this particular forum to tell us that you have managed to stop gambling for a short period of time through reading a book (some could see it as gloating), but I do understand that you merely wanted to share your experience with other compulsive gamblers.

Unfortunately GA does not allow the endorsement of any outside enterprise therefore the title of your book would not have been allowed in this post.

I too no longer have urges to gamble, they happen very rarely and when they do I am able to instantly dismiss them. I have no interest in gambling either, none whatsoever. Gambling just isn't part of my life any more. In fact, seeing gambling establishments or watching adverts no longer phases me one bit. However, I am not naive enough to believe that the addiction has left me for good, there is a saying 'the pilot light is always on', I underestimate how powerful, cunning and manipulative this addiction can be.

It has been well over 7 years since I last had a bet. I have put a great deal of effort into my recovery and I continue to do so. If I could switch this addiction off like it switch off the light it would be so much easier, but I can't. IMO there is no miracle cure for addiction and I cannot allow myself to think for one minute there is. The path I have taken is a long and often painful one but it is proven and provides me with a great deal of happiness and self-knowledge. It is not for everyone though, as many are not as strong as me.

I ready do hope that you continue to stay away from a bet. If you have managed to find an easier way than I have then that's great.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)