Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My name is Simmo
In early recovery, my ego was still big, covering up the insecurites of low self esteem and lacking confidence. I wanted to change the program, to make it more modern etc etc. The reality was that I was yet to integrate the GA program into my life, and even after more than 3 years in recovery I have only just read the "towards the first 90 days" booklet. That booklet has really helped me to see things differently, and now I put the program into action, the benefits are hude by working the program just as it is.

The more I work the program, the less I believe it needs to change, and I start the realise that I was just wanting to change everything to meet my own desires. I'm not that special. Deflating my ego has been a very comforting experience. I am me, I am confortable and confident that I know who I am and what I stand for.

Just for today I will not gamble, One day at a time.

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
Christmas time can be a hard time for some, and I am finding it tough again this year. Depression is affecting me severely and there is a significant lack of feelings. I'm in the process of just getting by each day, continuing to have a strong resolve to not gamble. I do this by going to my weekly GA meeting, no matter how I feel, the importance of the meeting is greater to me than anything else. History has tought me the hard way, exactly what happens if I stop going to meetings.

Wishing eveyone a gamble free Christmas, and please do not suffer in slience. If you need help, please reach out for help.

In Unity

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
Hey Simmo Considering how you are currently feeling, maybe its time for more than one meeting per week, at least for the time being or until your thoughts calm down a bit. Certainly can't hurt, can it? Wishing you and your family a joyous Christmas season as well as a healthy and happy New Year. In unity, Lew B.-Woodbury Monday
(20-12-2019, 05:21 PM)LewB Wrote: Hey Simmo Considering how you are currently feeling, maybe its time for more than one meeting per week, at least for the time being or until your thoughts calm down a bit. Certainly can't hurt, can it? Wishing you and your family a joyous Christmas season as well as a healthy and happy New Year. In unity, Lew B.-Woodbury Monday

Hi Lew B,

It's not a bad idea at all, I will add another meeting in, ultimately I've got to sort out my marriage, as that's a big part of my low mood.

In Unity

Simmo
Hey Simmo....

Best wishes to you as always....

Reaching out and offering that hand of fellowship....

jft in unity Smartie xx
Meetings help, but meetings are only a small part to how GA works....

GA is a 12 step organisation that offers the program that keeps me in recovery...

Leaving behind 2019, which has probably been the toughest year of my life. PTSD, Anxiety and Depression affecting me in various directions with varying intensity. From hospitalisation to running a marathon, learning to know myslef, and learning to forgive. I am moving forward with my life, hoping that 2020 is going to be a better year. Just for today I will not gamble, one day at a time.

Wishing each and every one of a Happy New Year.

In Unity
Simmo
Just over 2 weeks into 2020 and things are on track. I've been following the simple suggestions of recovery, for both addiction and depression. I've been running 5 days a week and already starting to feel fitter. I'm a little bit annoyed with myself for letting myself get so out of shape, but I'm not spending too long looking back. I won't forget where I've come from, but I also won't concentrate on it too much, as that's not where I want to be heading.

I will continue to progress in recovery, one day at a time. If you are struggling, please please get to a meeting. Meetings are what keep me safe from gambling. Each week I go, no matter what, not for myslef as much anymore, but to help others, and in doing so helping myself.

The fellowship has literally saved my life. I am committed to GA for life, as addiction doesn't just go away, there is no cure, but by following a few suggestions for recovery in my life I can stay off a bet, and learn to be happy in this new life.

Just for today I will not gamble

Simmo
Hi Simmo,

how are things with you? been a while since I've been on here, hopefully you have continued the excellent progress you were making.

Best wishes!
My last bet was 14th December 2017. I owe GA my life, for saving mine from misery and financial ruin.
Just for today, I will not gamble. And when I wake tomorrow, I will make that same promise to not gamble, just for today.