Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First 14 days
My name is Dougie and i am a Compulsive Gambler.
I have now been gambling free for 14 days which is very positive considering that i once managed to stay off for 8 yrs 6 mths ish First time round my Family were very supportive.However this time its different 2 of my 3 sons wont talk to me my wife talks to me listens to me but i have hurt her so much more this time she feels betrayed wortlhess and even manages to blame herself for my gambling this time round for not asking questions or spotting the tell tale signs tried telling her that she is beyond reproach and this is all down to me i know i must keep positive thoughts and attend GA when i can (not always poss work shifts) but i will come online and give my therapys here when i miss sorry seem to have rambled on but had to get it off my chest
My name is Dougie and i am a Compulsive Gambler
Dougie
My name is Kate and I have come to realize that there are no friends, family or acquaintences to borrow money from any more. 3 months behind on my mortgage but I spoke with the bank and they set up a payment plan. I can't lose the desire to gamble. I have got little in the bank to put towards towards mortgage and today the thought crossed my mind to use that to make more and be able to pay mortgage. This is my way of thinking and I am trying so hard to fight it. I have accutually tried GA put I didn't get much from it. Maybe my frame of mind at the time or possibly the wrong group
Hi Dougie,

It was good to talk with you the other night in live chat. 14 days is a great start and I hope in time your two sons will begin to forgive you once you begin to rebuild a bit of trust, give it time mate.

One day at a time.

Kate,

Your bank appear to be understanding but trying to gamble what little you have to put towards the mortgage in an effort to build it up will only lead to you having nothing to put towards it (trust me I know, I tried it myself all to often), ar better just to give them what you have and then work at your recovery and when you start being able to make the payments again it will feel better. Try getting back to a meeting or even as a starter using live chat on this site, theres plenty of people who'll support you on here most evenings. Take care.
New hope

Thanks for taking time to read my post i know that time may temper my wife and sons feelings towards me but right now i am focussed on going to GA and continueing my recovery from this dreadful illness i have my meeting tonight and look forward to it i will have another gambling free day and hope everyone else in the same boat has a gambling free day
My name is Dougie and i am a compulsive gambler.

Kate

never give up giving up i don't know where you live but check out other meetings in your area good luck and if you need to chat go online and there will usually be somebody there especially at night Take care and try not to give in.
My name is Dougie and im a Compulsive Gambler
Hi Dougie, Thank you for your post. This is a good reminder to me - I am only just one bet away from destroying my life once again and it's hard to imagine after 10 years in recovery but know that if I start missing meetings, letting old resentments creep back into my life or not pactising the steps in my daily life I could be back to the insanity that ruled me for most of my adult life. Please see if you can get your wife along to a Gam-anon meeting. This would help her realize that she had nothing to do with your gambling again. I wish you well in your recovery and come back here often and let us know how you are
regards
Helen
hi and welcome and thank you for sharing your story you will always find support in here and also in the live chat room. it not easy to admit this addiction to anyone because people think it not a addiction; the only people who will understand are the people who have the same problem as you. I been attending GA now for nearly 6 years, going to my meetings every week with out fail,

There is plenty of meetings for you to go and for family support as well. we at GA do not judge anyone. we all support each other. you will meet new friends in the group. what you say in the meeting it will stay in the room. well done on your 14 days of gambling free. Take one day at the time

your friend in here, Stephen
hi dougie,

my name is jason and i am a composlive gambler, 14 days mate well done keep going i have had a relapse myself recentley and feel completely gutted my wife talks to me but i know she is not happy with me and she is the best thing to happen to me, i have already lost one marriage to this god awfull desease and i am determined not too lose another. i'll keep an eye out for your posts to see how you are doing keep going fella

jason
My 10/28/10 date means soooooo much to me. It doesn't seem like much but to me it is a blessing. I don't think about gambling everyday and I'm not trying to figure out when there will be enought money for me to go. This used to be so compulsive with me. I would check my account balance dailey and then figure out when I had enough money to go again. What a relief to not have to think about gambling all the time. One day at a time is what I have to keep pulling myself back to. I'm concerning about having money for Xmas for the kids and I get all uptight until I come back to one day at a time. Been going to meetings as much as I can and they are so supportive. Love Them!
dougie Wrote:My name is Dougie and i am a Compulsive Gambler.
I have now been gambling free for 14 days which is very positive considering that i once managed to stay off for 8 yrs 6 mths ish First time round my Family were very supportive.However this time its different 2 of my 3 sons wont talk to me my wife talks to me listens to me but i have hurt her so much more this time she feels betrayed wortlhess and even manages to blame herself for my gambling this time round for not asking questions or spotting the tell tale signs tried telling her that she is beyond reproach and this is all down to me i know i must keep positive thoughts and attend GA when i can (not always poss work shifts) but i will come online and give my therapys here when i miss sorry seem to have rambled on but had to get it off my chest
My name is Dougie and i am a Compulsive Gambler