Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help and advice
hey all

im new to this. im starting to think ive got a problem gambling, i was recently left a fair bit of money off a relative and before i had this money i only gambled a little. i had a big win on the football and then i was hooked, bookies everyday without fail. once i got the money in my bank it has just dwindled and i cant seem to stop. now im oncredit cards and loans. i just cant stop and im going to go mad. im 21 year old male and everybet i place i feel a year older. but i just cant stop

any advice would help

thanks

scott
Scott,

You're an addict and your life will probably go quite horribly wrong unless you tell someone. You can't be trusted. I could write 'probably' and be nicer, but I'm 'probably' the same as you and I needed/need a kicking to stop me.

I'm 25 and I gambled on and off since I was 18 - but I was a chuffing nightmare even when I was 11 years old, on small pence machines!

You more than likely suffer with delusions of grandeur and immaturity (as I do too). You have to be BRUTAL with yourself and be very self-aware to even start to get through this – often that takes a long time (I’m not there yet).

Things to do, to help? Place your finances with someone else, report to them with your statements, remove your money access, block every site you can think of, tell the bookies, buy nice things instead of stock piling your cash, set targets and reward yourself if you reach them, would whatever it takes!!

Best of luck – I fear the worst is yet to come.
Hi Ya Scott, welcome to the GA site, this is where you will find good advice then it's up to you what you do with it. I can only advice you to get to your nearest GA meeting and make a start with the program. You are still very young and if you can get yourself into recovery at this age you will hopefully have a bright and useful life ahead of you. If you continue to gamble your life will be totally unmanagable and you may never recover. Tell someone close to you, Mum, Dad, brother and let them know what you are going to do to get yourself better. You need their support and it can be hard doing this alone.
I wish you all the best for the future.
Helen