Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nowhere to turn
Just when I thought I had heard every excuse for NOT going to a meeting I read yours!

When I first stopped gambling the first person I told was my partner; whether or not I wanted to tell her she had a right to know, along with everyone I knew. It would not have been fair to keep them 'in the dark' about what I was capable of.

My illness naturally makes me secretive, secluded and detached. When I stopped gambling I continued to act in this manner until I was made aware of it through GA. At the meetings and through other GA members I learnt not to live my life this way in times of stress, frustration, etc...

I remember many attempts at trying to stop gambling which, for me also, only lasted a few days. But until I was ready to do things differently and accept the help of others I would never stop for good. One of the first things I learnt was that if I wanted to not gambling I needed to stop lying too. Lying about my addiction only enables me to 'leave a door open' to gamble. The relief in not have to lie any more is a god-send.

I am in no way going to tell you that you must tell your wife (although many would), I am in no way qualified to do so and neither is anyone else on this forum. But, if you are serious about gambling, consequences aside, you will stop hiding away from reality and do the right thing.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)