Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gambling and my Obsession
I am surprised you still have an obsession to gamble after ten years smiler. My recovery has taught me a great deal about how I tick and I am constantly understanding more about my illness.

Gambling was never my problem, the way I did it was (compulsively). In my experience, although I have met many compulsive gamblers who suffer from OCD, I don't believe there's a much larger ratio than anyone other sector of society.

Big Dave (Uxbridge/Eastcote)
I would have thought that anyone who had more than 10 years of recovery would have overcome any obsession to have a bet years ago. And, they would understand that it is not the gambling, it is the need to escape that they might be looking for, it merely comes to the compulsive gambler in the form of gambling.

When I get stressed, frustrated, etc.. I often get an urge to escape. There is something in me that makes that my default mode for coping. As a result of the effort I put into my recovery the need to escape comes to me far less now. And, when the possible thought of my old preferred default option comes to mind I can instantly dismiss it now. I have measures in place that don't allow me to get into the same predicaments that I used to find myself when I gambled.

There is a big difference between abstinence and recovery. I know that peoples' recovery is different but my addiction and understanding it was one of the first things I learnt.

Big Dave (Uxbridge/Eastcote)