Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoebox's Story
Week 5 in to the 12 steps with my sponsor and I have just completed Step 1.

The problem I had with step 1, was I was could admit I was powerless over gambling, but never truly admitted to my self or others that my life had become unmanageable, this really was a big jump in the right direction for me in my recovery.

I now make a list every day of what I would like to achieve for that day, and ticks tasks off as I get them done, I don't necessarily get everything done, but at least now I have got a structure to my day, and the feeling I get when I complete one of my tasks is sublime.

Before GA, I would struggle to make my mind up, and I would just end up gambling instead of making a decision. I would never ask for anyone's help with anything, I felt I could manage just fine on my own, I had a real obstinate attitude and stance on everything. These days I got my meeting and my sponsor and I like to run things through him first, just to have an opinion of someone I respect and trust to help me make the right calls, 2 heads are better than 1 in my perspective now.

I am really glad I have made the right judgment to get a sponsor and go through the 12 steps with him, the constant contact and the meeting up every week has been a significant benefit to me and my recovery. I am really starting to feel better, much better.

In my meeting last night I have been voted in as the meeting secretary, it is nice to give something back to GA, in the pre GA days, I wouldn't of done nothing for anybody, unless I could earn from it. I hope this is a positive personality change I am seeking from within, to be a useful member of society in general.

I am looking forward to the next step into my journey.

In Unity
Martin
My name is Martin, I am a compulsive gambler, my last bet was 29.9.2017. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things that I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

Messages In This Thread
Shoebox's Story - by shoebox - 05-01-2019, 04:30 PM
RE: Shoebox's Story - by shoebox - 24-01-2019, 08:27 PM
RE: Shoebox's Story - by shoebox - 19-02-2019, 11:55 AM
RE: Shoebox's Story - by Chris_b - 19-02-2019, 12:51 PM
RE: Shoebox's Story - by smartie - 19-02-2019, 02:21 PM
RE: Shoebox's Story - by shoebox - 25-02-2019, 11:53 PM
RE: Shoebox's Story - by shoebox - 04-03-2019, 11:39 PM
RE: Shoebox's Story - by dave27 - 07-03-2019, 03:14 PM
RE: Shoebox's Story - by shoebox - 07-03-2019, 06:08 PM