Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice to a gambler's partner please
Thank you for your replies. It's humbling to feel so supported by people I don't know but who totally understand and take the time to help me/us.
Andy, you replied first and that helped me get through the early hours of Saturday morning (we're 4 hours ahead here). I'd been up 23 hours and your post seemed like words of wisdom to me and a torch helping me to find my way. I can't thank you enough.
Dave, your advice is so practical and although I'm not sure how self barring works, I will look into it. Knowing you've lived in Dubai helps greatly too. It makes me realise we're not alone out here, far away from Sheffield. Maybe there are others here in the same situation. The way you explained the betting helps- I never thought it could be the phone but that makes perfect sense.
Poster Dave, thanks for giving me the link to GamAnon and explaining it. I'd seen it when I 'googled' but didn't really understand. Now I do.
Helen, lots of practical advice. I will definately make sure I take control of the money as you advised. I looked through his wallet when he was asleep and hid the 4 credit cards I found. I had no idea he even had them.
I hope to talk to my husband tonight after the kiddies are in bed. We spoke very briefly yesterday, as he had to work, and the conversation was calm. He told me he'd been gambling for 5 years; ever since we moved here. He said he understood if I wanted to leave him. I even thinks he recognises he has an addiction, which after what you've all told me, may be good news rather than bad news, if you know what I mean. How did I not realise! I keep playing back scenes and doubts from the past but even then none of them would have made me associate it to gambling. I just thought money burnt a hole in his pocket.
One day at a time....

Again, many, many thanks
Maria

Messages In This Thread
Advice to a gambler's partner please - by Maria MKF - 05-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Re: Advice to a gambler's partner please - by Poster David - 06-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Re: Advice to a gambler's partner please - by Guest - 07-02-2010, 05:26 AM
Re: Advice to a gambler's partner please - my thanks - by Maria MKF - 07-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Re: Advice to a gambler's partner please - by kate - 08-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Re: Advice to a gambler's partner please - by Maria MKF - 12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Re: Advice to a gambler's partner please - by Wee_vee - 18-02-2010, 10:05 PM