Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Student Gambler Finally Admits...
Hi again.

It's been a while but I thought I'd show some appreciation for people's posts. Thank you those that replied, I am doing well.
I was honest and told my family and girlfriend. It was rough and it made me stop again. I went back to uni after being diagnosed with depression etc etc. I stuck with my GA group in Wakefield for about 5 months before I was due to return to uni in Sept 2010. Unfortunately I didn't then go to GA meetings in Newcastle where I studied. That, combined with being a general arrogant smart-alec, I ended up inevitably slipping. I recognised that I was in a much worse situation than before and took stock a bit. I managed to man up and confess to my brother again who demanded I gave him what money I had left, which was hugely liberating. Since then I retold the truth to people and am back at GA in Wakefield. My bet date is 6/6/11. Unfortunately, cutting a long year story short, I messed up a lot with my studies via gambling and have failed again. I now won't graduate until 2013 after starting in 2008. I guess I'm posting this because I've realised that I cannot fix this problem, there isn't a magical cure, and I am indeed a compulsive gambler. For anyone who reads this and thinks they know best (like I did), or thinks this fix is only temporary then I'm, along with many others, a prime example that you will at some stage need to understand and embrace the problem rather than 'cleverly' cure it. In my opinion, GA meetings provide the best place for that to happen, however until you admit to yourself that it's incurable then no matter how many meetings you go to, you will eventually convince yourself you're better again. I know I'm still an amateur in gambling abstination but I've had good experience of slipping, and I ruined so many lives of those close to me over and over. It's much worse if you go back to it.

Jake

Messages In This Thread
Student Gambler Finally Admits... - by Guest - 19-03-2010, 05:11 AM
Re: Student Gambler Finally Admits... - by Stingray - 24-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Re: Student Gambler Finally Admits... - by Guest - 25-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Re: Student Gambler Finally Admits... - by brocaboy - 25-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Re: Student Gambler Finally Admits... - by johnnyi - 30-03-2010, 01:55 AM
Re: Student Gambler Finally Admits... - by Danny - 12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Re: Student Gambler Finally Admits... - by Guest - 12-10-2011, 01:35 AM