Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am a waste of space
hi all,

Well here is my update and its been a while!however it's all for the good I have to admit!

I last had a bet of any description on August 6th 2010 which I know is only approx 4 months without a punt as it were - but I feel considerably better as a direct result of no gambling.

I suppose the trouble was my mates or even wife could have a casual bet on the football, buy a lottery ticket, stick a few quid on the grand National or even play a few quid in the bandits - HOWEVER I COULDNT it went on and on it was relentless!

My "addiction" and its only now that I realise how severe it was with me as I was into horses, roulette machines, football betting the works - sometimes I never even watched it! Just calling it "having compulsive behaviour" doesn't do it justice.......

Numerous things had been on my mind prior to walking in to that first GA...

Firstly like others I had been concerned at what the reaction would be to my situation!

Yet as soon as walking in I was welcomed I had my one on one introduction within half an hour of going in and the people listened. They also admitted that I was not alone, but it was upto me to want to stop and I had to take control and steps could be put in place to make it easier for me.

I just wish I had gone in earlier many many years ago it would have saved me loads of hassle!

More importantly with GA I found out that it was not like a "cult" where they simply brainwash you.

It sounds daft but I really couldn't handle that kind of "help" as I know many many people and it stays just that its an odd flutter and it stays as enjoyment. (people are not all the same)

I also realise the flip side though is I cannot control gambling I was addicted to it - it used to control me "THATS FACT"

I simply could not do it half hearted like some people do when they win....

Over the years I had a number of "BIG WINs" and great we had some good blow outs, but losses were way way higher and much of that ends up on immediate credit and with that comes all the deceit, and lies and ultimate pain coming way further down the line etc.

As soon as the weekend came round or that game of live football was on that was the next fix and anything that got in the way was worked around.

Now things could not be clearer my money is controlled by the wife who is sorting this aspect out for me and I am paying my overspending back slowly and for once I actually have a bit of money in the bank just before pay day.

It's not all easy by any stretch when you first start going to GA

I gave up financial control and as much as it has it's benefits!!! It can also be very hard to enjoy as a grown man losing your independence can be awkward and embarrassing at times..

Once you stop betting you can find you have considerable time to fill in place of betting, so ensuring that you got things to do to keep your mind occupied helps fill the void.

You also don't wake up and never think of having a bet again, just because you been to a meeting!
I take it a day at a time and this I seem to be able to control, and then there is tomorrow to think about.

It does get easier and the odd high and many lows of gambling disappear leaving you initially with a more of an even lifestyle but gone are the days of despair of what you have done.

Where am I now?

Well I am in a far better place than I was just 4 months ago there is nothing hidden from the wife, I don't have to hide money or receipts all over the house so I can have a sneaky bet.

In time I/we will get straight financially ! and the future is far better with gambling out my life

Tonight I go to see a group of people from GA that are all ok and its a Xmas curry night, they ain't freaks they are just people fighting with an addiction in many cases as bad as what I had!

Good luck to anyone this helps

Messages In This Thread
I am a waste of space - by the big fella - 15-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Re: I am a waste of space - by Guest - 16-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Re: I am a waste of space - by Guest - 16-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Re: I am a waste of space - by the big fella - 16-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Re: I am a waste of space - by the big fella - 06-12-2010, 03:12 PM