Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
otherwise normal
I am 61 years old and I have been a compulsive gambler since I was 17 years old. I lived and worked overseas for over half of my life.
I stopped gambling for over 15 years. I think that I was able to do it because I did not really have easy access to bookmakers and I filled my life with work.
I had to learn how to use a computor in my work place and realised how easy it was to to go online and place a bet. This is the only negative that I have seen with computers for people in my situation. However I resisted the temptation to bet online.
My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 and I am not sure whether it was stress that spurred me to having a bet but I do know that it was a fatal mistake. I gambled but with my wife to support I never gambled more than I could afford to lose and to be honest not enough for her to notice. I would have had to explain large withdrawals as I gave her full access to my bank account
Being a compulsive gambler I knew that I was playing with fire. My wife died this year and I have been in a state of grief since. Same old thing I deal with it by gambling, my major weakness. I am a normal caring individual in every other way.
My wife knew that I was a gambler when she married me and one of the few worries that she ever had was that I would revert to gambling.
I am ashamed to say that she must be turning in her grave now.
I built up a small fortune while I worked overseas had good investments etc. I have gambled half of what it took me twenty years of hard work to accumulate in the few months since my wife died. I know that I am not suppose to go into figures on this site but let it suffice for me to say that I could have purchased a couple of average priced houses for cash for what I have wasted over the last few months.
I understand this dicease only too well having lived with it for all my adult life, the chasing of losses etc , it feels like monopoly money when gambling online.
I am now retired and do not need to work but I am at a cross roads. I am slowly but surely destroying everything that I have worked forand realise that if I carry on gambling the only way for me is downhill. I help a lot of people out in their times of need but if I carry on as I am I wont even be able to help myself.
I am sorry that this has been such a long post but I suddenly started to feel scared and needed to take a good look in the mirror by writing this down.
I will pray to God for his help and I will also say a prayer for all my other fellow souls that have been affected by this terrible disease.

Chas.

Messages In This Thread
otherwise normal - by Chas1234 - 05-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Re: otherwise normal - by Debra T - 06-08-2010, 01:18 PM