Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When people say "Take one day at a time"
I have posted on here before with my problem and find myself in the same predicament many months on. I no longer gamble every day and haven't for well over a year, however, I have a different type of problem, which is actually just as bad. I don't bet for several weeks then have a moment of weakness and end up playing roulette and losing hundreds in the space of a few hours. This is obviously soul destroying and very frustrating as I get paid monthly and end up in a worse financial position than the month before after going weeks at a time being extremely careful with my money. I am desperate to quit and after every setback I seem as determined as ever to stop only to fall back into the same trap. Anyway, my question to the experienced posters on here is this - I try to take the advice on this site and take things one day at a time but find after going for weeks without even contemplating a bet once the decision to gamble enters my head the decision has already been made. How do you overcome this overpowering feeling? Do you experience this and what do you do to overcome it? My latest setback was on the 1st of June after going almost four weeks without a bet. This happened because a scheduled meeting finished early and driving home the thought entered my head that I wasn't expected back for a few hours and so the opportunity was there. I drove for forty five minutes trying to tell myself about the one day at a time rule and it wasn't enough. I know the advice will be to go to a meeting and I am stupid for not going but I will give myself every opportunity to fix this on my own. I have faced other difficulties in life and overcome them through planning and sheer determination. I know I can beat this. Please see boyond my arrogance when giving advice. Incidentally, in the past if I lost I was back the next day. This doesn't happen now. I admit defeat and move on. Good as gold for the next few weeks.

Messages In This Thread
When people say "Take one day at a time" - by Guest - 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Re: When people say "Take one day at a time" - by barrieexgambler - 05-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Re: When people say "Take one day at a time" - by Guest - 05-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Re: When people say "Take one day at a time" - by Guest - 07-06-2011, 07:06 PM