Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gambling son
Lilac Lady,

First of all can I just say that these are my personal opinions based on everything I have heard and experienced since joining GA. I am a compulsive gambler, but have not had a bet since Sep 26th 2009.

I do not believe you are helping your son by bailing him out all the time. Unless he realises in his heart that he is an addict, a compulsive gambler, who is powerless over his addiction he will never willingly of his own accord want help and want to give up gambling for the rest of his life. All the time he has this lifeline he will use it, and use it, and use you and use anyone else who will give him enough money to gamble again. It is an insidious disease and when in its grip he will not treat anyone with enough respect to want to stay around him. Most of us ended up alienating ourselves from friends family and anyone else except other gamblers.

My advice is to stop treating the symptoms, and treat the disease. Only when he has reached the point where he actively wants and seeks help will he be able to accept it.

When he does this we can help. Gamblers Anonymous has helped so many people. The most important and powerful tool is to attend meetings regularly. On the home page under the meetings tab is a map of all the meetings and the times and days. If he goes to one or more a week he has every chance of turning his life from what it is now into something positive.

These are just my opinions. I hope they help.

My name is Chris, and I am a compulsive gambler.

Messages In This Thread
Gambling son - by Lilac lady - 27-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Re: Gambling son - by Guest - 29-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Re: Gambling son - by Guest - 22-10-2011, 10:07 PM