Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help
Hey "cant stop"
My post is going to sound Alien to you my friend but I will do my best to explain as your right life will pass you by should you not take this and listen because its coming from someone who knows:

My name is Barrie and I am a compulsive gambler, sounds weird that? actually no its something i admit everyday of the week to myself, did I gamble today? answer no! but why>

See it doesnt matter if you have a degree, your a TV presenter, footballer, a poor man, a rich man you know the first time you taste gambling if you are compulsive or not.

For me to understand I had to understand the word "compulsive" that means once I start I cannot stop, I loose all boundaries of responsibility.

Couple that with the question "what is gambling?" answer this one honestly! Its a money making INDUSTRY..so who rationally thought if I combine the two a) Compulsive b) gambling I could BEAT the system, answer I did! and I kept asking that question over and over again until I said "enough"

I will tell you honestly the worst thing that happened to you: the fact your parents bailed you out before, because you was not going to quit! why? because your a compulsive gambler.

That means the desease takes over, we will lie, we will decieve and we will find a way even if that means saddling ourselves with mountains of issues when really we only need one answer.

The answer is WE CANNOT WIN. This next statement is true: If I got a phone call and someone said the next lottery numbers will be 5a,b,c,d,e,f buy a ticket and you WILL win, I would not buy a ticket and I wouldnt be upset if the numbers arrived, WHY? because I would return to being the dreamer I was before and all I would do is gamble everyday but harder and my life WOULD be a misery because my limits would be higher.

So what did I do? Note I do not have a university degree so cannot claim to be higher than something that gripped me and ruined my life. Simple I sat down and said I MUST be honest:

1) I shared with those who CAN help me, first step towards honesty, so you will need to tell your folks and say I dont want bailing out as this is MY doing.

2) I turned my life over to living one day at a time.

3) I said to myself its me who must go out and get if I want, I will not be given and things will not come easily.

I am going to leave you with something I feel is important "today in Africa children died because they could not eat" Today in some parts of the world people live on scraps...

Today I will not wish to waste a penny on something that does not bring me happyness instead I will live this day by my means and hope tommorow I do the same.

Then when you realise there is not only "you" and how fortunate you actually are your name will change from "cannot stop" to "i will do everything possible to stop"

Go to a meeting and begin a new life and then open up with those around you.

TC

B

Messages In This Thread
Need help - by astuartDral - 23-09-2011, 03:00 AM
Re: Need help - by Rmllbzd - 28-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Re: Need help - by barrieexgambler - 03-10-2011, 01:57 AM