Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Name is Carl & I am a C.Gambler
Hi Carl

It is unfortunately common in GA. Very few members practice the 12 steps or have a mentor. The truth is that the majority of compulsive gamblers merely want to do the bare minimum to stop gambling. They shy away from doing the steps as it is a difficult task.

You have to look at the nature of a compulsive gambler. We want everything in life the easy way, now now now, we don't want to work hard for anything really. Many members in GA still try to do things their own way, so very few get mentors. Most are just content with showing up to a meeting once a week (or fortnight) and talking a bit. But, foolishly believe they are on the road to recovery.

A meeting can only be as strong as the members within it. So, if nobody talks about the steps, then no one will do then, or even think about doing them. The less people do, the less these things get promoted within GA.

I would suggest that you attend different meetings and SPEAK UP. Ask the group about sponsorship/steps. Someone will be able to help you locally. Otherwise, I believe there is a Steps meeting in the chat room on a saturday. Going to different meetings will also put you in contact with a larger variety of potential sponsors/mentors.

Maybe you could start a steps meeting yourself.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)

Messages In This Thread
My Name is Carl & I am a C.Gambler - by Guest - 10-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Re: My Name is Carl & I am a C.Gambler - by BigDave - 12-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Re: My Name is Carl & I am a C.Gambler - by Guest - 13-01-2012, 07:32 AM