Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New ideas for running a meeting
Hi BRIANTHEBEAR

It's great that you want to spice up your meeting. There are many different ways that you can 'mix up' the meeting. I have found over the years by going to many different meetings that it is good to see first-hand how other meetings are run and if they seem beneficial from the different format. People could make suggestions to you but they might not be beneficial or even successful in your particular group. After all, even though everyone has the same illness, the individuals are different and might not adhere to the change.

A group discussion can sometimes backfire depending on the overall unity of the specific group. I have seen members take offence when their opinions are opposed (can be seen as criticising) and this can lead to members never coming back. However, it can be beneficial if kept brief. I know of a few meetings who will utilise any remaining time when their therapies are finished to have a short discussion on any topics that might have been spoken about.

Although don't you think it would be better to ask your group this first, it is called a conscious meeting. Most meetings will have them maybe once a month or just a few times a year. They don't have to be long, just 15 minutes is normally enough time. Then you or any other member can make suggestions on areas they feel might need attention with the existing group. You might find that some of your more longer-standing members come up with a few excellent ideas that would be perfect for your particular meeting.

As there is no hierachy in GA it is only fair that any potential changes be made by the group rather than an individual. If you do decide to change something I would suggest you tell the group first but be prepared to go along with the old format if they are not keen on your idea. I have seen meetings nearly crumble because someone came along who decided to take it on him/herself to alter the format of the meeting. As human beings (and addicts) most people don't like change.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)

Messages In This Thread
Re: New ideas for running a meeting - by BigDave - 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Re: New ideas for running a meeting - by BigDave - 11-09-2013, 09:15 AM