Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help
Hello, I have known my Son has a gambling problem for several months..we have cleared his debts and thought we were helping him  to get over his addiction. But , we have now found out that he is back in debt and has been lying to us and gambling again. I am. Not sure what to do next .  I will encourage him to attend a GA meeting , but can I go with him and should I make  a Doctors   Appt as well? He does accept that he has a major problem.  I feel helpless. Any  tips?
 Thanks
(23-09-2015, 03:29 PM)LewB Wrote: Hi Jacki       You are certainly right that your son has to get to a GA meeting. But the choice has to be his. GA will give him all the help that he needs and wants. Up to him whether he accepts it or not. In the meantime, you might want to consider Gamanon for yourself if its available to you. Gamanon is the companion program to GA and its for the family and friends of the compulsive gambler. There they learn how to deal with the illness and the the gambler. And very importantly, they learn how to protect themselves and the family from the disease. Be aware that not every GA meeting has a Gamanon meeting attached to it, SO CHECK FIRST! Gamanon meetings are usually held in the same venue as GA meetings but in different rooms. Do believe that there is also a Gamanon online meeting and there might even be a Gamanon chat room. Not sure about the last. But the f2f meetings are most important for him and for you as well. Lives change with the help of GA and Gamanon. Hope it all turns out well for your son and for you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        LewB-Woodbury Monday
(02-10-2015, 04:30 AM)smartie Wrote: Any latest Jacki?  Has your son been able to get to a meeting yet?
Have you been  able to get any more support?
Smartie xx

Hello, sorry this has taken so long to reply to.  We have been to his Doctor who has referred him for counselling - but which may take 10 weeks for an appointment!  He has been for alcohol use counselling and is now on meds to make him feel better. I am hoping that the next step will be to visit one of your meetings.....watch this space.  Thank you for your interest - appreciated.