Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 1st Post
After my 1st problems with online gambling I went back to traditional betting shop gambling involving Saturday football coupons and live telly match bets, and I thought it was fine.

In 2011 we moved to France, rural France, not much to do. French opening times aren’t great, closed for lunch etc. So after finding the shop closed for lunch whilst trying to do our euromilions once too often – we opened an online account with the supplier in France. This same supplier also has sports betting linked to the same username & password. It wasn’t a trick to open another online account, I genuinely didn’t intend it, but I now had access to sports betting online again. Over the following years I repeated the same online patterns as before, not losing much in financial terms, but nevertheless money we couldn’t really afford to lose, but no debt and no chasing loses at least.

Then I started betting with my overdraft, don’t really know why, and then I was chasing the loss. Before long I was in the red, and no real chance to pay it back, as money is very tight. Worry and waking at night began to follow, at these times I told myself tomorrow I would stop. The next day, in the cold light of day, I continued to build debt until one day I went to our local tax office to query a bill we’d been sent. They said it was an error and that they owed us. I knew that I’d paid a similar bill in 2013, and had them look at that. They said that too was incorrect and that they owed us. This was about the same as my debt in £. I used the money to pay the debt, but only told my wife part of it. Not because I wanted to deceive her, but because I could save face and clear the debt, sleep properly and move on. But then I continued to gamble starting to build a fresh debt. This was like my ‘eureka’ moment, I realized that I have a gambling addiction, and possibly always have. But for me only online gambling and the instant easy accessibility of it brought about the biggest problems. Like placing a footy fourfold, then again when the 1st leg lost, then again, when the next 1st leg lost too. Losing three bets for the price of three, not one!! Luckily, soon after I had got to less debt when my wife saw me acting shiftily as she looked for some documents. She found a bill I said I’d paid but hadn’t, and I confessed to her. I feel so relieved, but guilty and sad too, about all the deceit and wasted money when we live on such a tight budget. We looked at the last calendar year and worked out how much i'd lost. I have to take responsibility for that and vow that it will never happen again.

I know that I can stop gambling, I’m on day 5 now. I find, for me, it doesn’t take very long to break the habit. But this time I need to never do it again, not next week, next month, next year or next decade. This time it’s over for good. I’m on here to help myself do this, and to help others if I can. If you can’t take or leave gambling, then you’ve gotta leave it!!

Messages In This Thread
My 1st Post - by Cumberland-Spaceman - 25-09-2015, 05:24 PM
RE: My 1st Post - by Cumberland-Spaceman - 25-09-2015, 09:13 PM
RE: My 1st Post - by Cumberland-Spaceman - 27-09-2015, 05:54 PM