Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I really stop?
Good evening all
I've been gambling for the last 7 years, sort help before with counselling sessions and only stuck it out for a few, with my job it was difficult to commit, however on looking back I really was't ready to stop. I have literally flown back from a 4 day binge in Las Vegas , I thought I could control it, I thought I can handle it, but what should of been a good experience turned into a nightmare of a time. I never felt more helpless and alone until I got home and looked on here. Firstly thanks for running this forum, it's given me hope, I'll research some meetings and get involved as much a S much as possible to beat this. Day 1!
Toddy,
Welcome to the family.
Last time you tried to stop, did you consider a GA meeting?
In our meetings we hear all the time people who have tried to stop, who have done the counseling route for all the wrong reasons. When it's your time you will know,hopefully that is now!!
You will find it a great help and support if you can get to a GA meeting and meet and talk to others who are just like you and I fighting daily if not hourly to not bet.
The differences between us and you Toddy is we have been given and learnt how to use the tools to aid us in making the decision not to bet.
Hope we see more of you on here and you can tell us about your first meeting.
It's a long road this recovery road mate and there is no end to it, however your life gets better and better the further you travel on it!!!
Take care.
Mick.
Cheers Mick! I must get a laptop because my iPhone is not very compatable and just deleted a massive text! Thanks for your message , I will be attending and will stay in touch!
(03-08-2016, 10:28 PM)Toddy83 Wrote: Cheers Mick! I must get a laptop because my iPhone is not very compatable and just deleted a massive text! Thanks for your message , I will be attending and will stay in touch!

Great to hear toddy...
never forget in GA there so so much support from meetings, 12 step work, involvement, support, sponsorship, literature, conventions etc....

Look forward to reading your next post
Smartie xx
Could of easily gambled today, I've got my credit card, 3 days off work, normally gamble on weekends, if I pull through this weekend without a gamble it will be progress. Trying to train the brain not to start because I know that even winning isnt going to solve problems, it will go on. Recognise the signs and stay focused! This is going to be tough! Boredom has a lot to do with it! Apologies I'm just venting and here....
(05-08-2016, 12:10 PM)Toddy83 Wrote: Could of easily gambled today, I've got my credit card, 3 days off work, normally gamble on weekends, if I pull through this weekend without a gamble it will be progress. Trying to train the brain not to start because I know that even winning isnt going to solve problems, it will go on. Recognise the signs and stay focused! This is going to be tough! Boredom has a lot to do with it! Apologies I'm just venting and here....

Hello Toddy exactly right boredom has a lot to do with why we gamble. Your also right when you say even winning don't solve problems. When you win it just makes you gamble more.

so in the end you Lose.

regards Londoner
Toddy,
Hope you got through those 3 days without a bet!!
Also the first thing you learn about in GA is the barriers we need to but in place to prevent us from betting when we get that urge. The first thing you need to do ASAP is get rid of all access to funds such as your credit card!! If the you have someone who you trust wife,partner or family member to take control of all your finances you will find especially at these times when you do get time off easier to manage.
It's not easy asking or handing over control but trust me when I say it does make life easier and a lot more difficult to gamble.
So if you are serious about stopping then you need to look at this route.
Good luck and speak soon.
Mick.
Cheers for the messages guys and the support, it means a lot. Well I managed to pull through the weekend (i actually went into work on overtime) it was also a way of punishing myself losing my weekend but just what I needed because it reminded me how hard we work for our money and how easily through one silly lapse I can throw it away.
I have recently had counselling just over the phone about one hour ago, I'm 7 days no gambling, was hesitant about the counselling however I'm glad I did it. I've been busy with work (which does take mind of it) but as the counsellor was saying I have to find a balance. I am still 100 percent committed to learning the techniques and the tools needed as I want to be prepared for pay day (that is the real test). A meeting is still on the agenda and I'm hoping next week I can attend one. staying positive and taking one day at a time! The credit card is in the missus pocket and I've got her card, it's embarrasing but whatever it takes!
Hi Toddy,

Its great to hear about your plans for attending a meeting but have you checked the times and locations for specific meetings? Maybe then put those dates into your diary and make them happen as you would with any other serious appointments.

let us know how the meetings go...
Smartie xx
Teddy we need to learn from our mistakes, life is so good without gambling, i wish i could learn before losing life savings got so many chances but got away with it and did not learn, but finally got caught. There is only one way we can beat the gambling by not gambling.