Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gambling caused stroke
My name is Andy and Im a compulsive gambler.Now I havent had a bet for 19 days but unfortunately GAMBLING 
has finally taken its toll as I had a stroke last week.Having been taken to hospital and had lots of scans/tests to check the damage and what caused it.Only I know that GAMBLING has caused this because the weeks leading up to it,I have tortured myself,mentally and physically,all due to my last massive gambling binge,which I was trying tomake sure I never forgot,all by torturing myself.But now I know I will never forget because of what has happened.All down to GAMBLING.
Now my life has changed because I am only half physically mobile now for the time being and I have to change my lifestyle to fit round my slight disability I have incurred for the time being.
I had started to go to meetings again but obviously this hasnt happened now for a couple of weeks due to the stroke.But my aim is to get back to them,hopefully when I recover,and then I can continue my recovery in the GA way.
Andy.
Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear this mate, but I am grateful that you have the function to post this. It must have a been a scary experience for you and one I hope never to endure. All of the constant stress that we put ourselves under whilst gambling and in early recovery certainly takes it's toll, looking forward to hearing your progress both medically and addiction recovery wise.

Wishing you well

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
(06-04-2018, 04:45 PM)Simmo Wrote: Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear this mate, but I am grateful that you have the function to post this.  It must have a been a scary experience for you and one I hope never to endure.  All of the constant stress that we put ourselves under whilst gambling and in early recovery certainly takes it's toll, looking forward to hearing your progress both medically and addiction recovery wise.  

Wishing you well

Simmo

I am recovering very slowly on the physical side,Ive been lucky enough that I am still just about able to function,although with great difficulty so ive managed to get back to work after only 3 days off,as I am self employed.
But only I know,none of this would have been necessary had I not had that 1st bet 2 months ago,and the unbelievable state I got myself into,and of course the rage that was in me,probably still is but unfortunately this has slightly changed my life so ive just got to accept it and start again from March 18th which was day 1 without a bet,and now on day 20.
Ive done it before and can do it again,all all ive lost will only be recovered by working and not gambling.
Thanks for that.Now this has all happened,I will never forget this,and hopefully if I ever feel like giving my hard earned money to the LYING,CHEATING,SCUMBAG BOOKIES,I will remember the depths of despair,and misery,as well as the damage I did to my body.
hallo, I have re-registered after giving it a miss for about a year.  I had explained that I caused damage to my HEART with my gambling on the slots... after I had played I would get this rush that made me ill - it was a kind of fear.
I had treatment fo rmy heart and given lots of medication to use - but knowing what had caused the trouble I knew I had to bring the habit under control or I would die (I am 83 with other health issues)
The meds made me ill I got all the side effects in the book including going deaf in right ear (caused by the fluid pillls)
i decided to leave them all OFF... and be serious about the habit.
The truth is I am a faith-filled Christian.  This is the only vice I've had all my life I developed it through loneliness  i have been on my own a long time and was always happy about it, but latterly with some poisoning I was ill a lot and it is at these times I need company and a chat.  I began wandering over the road to the pub to chat to my neighbours and began putting money in the slots - that's how it all started - but it was amazing how - one way or another God would help me out when I was in dire straights.

With God's help I worked out a strategy   I decided I DIDN'T HAVE TO STOP....but just keep it under control.
I now live in the country and when I travel to a town for special shopping I get tired and I need a hotel to rest, get a drink and bathroom. It is just not the same in a coffee shop!  I can't relax with people busying around me and I need to see and chat a bit to relax.
i am a pensioner.  I have 3 savings accounts - one that my pension goes into. 
 On paydays I pay all my regular accounts then transfer some to the other accounts.  I CANNOT DRAW FROM THESE WHEN I AM OUT...I just leave enough in my available account to live on with some pocket money for me to play a little if I want.
Recently I got the NAB bank to help me further.  We BLOCKED one account for me to save (health bills are increasing these days)  If I want that money I have to travel to the NAB and request to draw it out at the desk It is not available for me to draw or transfer online.
So now I am much more secure.  I really believe that God has been honoring my faith - He knows how much I try and the truth is when I HAVE played... since Christmas - overall -  I have won more than I have lost!.  But I can only spend so much.  I get my groceries etc first then go in the hotel to relax and have a play before I come home..  and as it's country I have made some friends there.
I say, pay your bills and buy all your groceries, plus what you need FIRST as soon as you get paid.... get it all in the fridge and freezer then you can relax a bit without a lot left over to waste.  When you need more shopping you can transfer somefrom the other account. 
I thought this may be of some help to someone.
I tried to get the habit under control for years but the mistake I made was I trying to stop altogether - I just enjoyed it and made myself miserable.  Depression feeds addiction So all the time I enjoy it I will have a play.  Before Christmas I won $xxx and paid all my Christmas presents with it.  My kids tell me not to buy them presents now - but I love it!  they got the lot and I was happy.
I will browse the forum now and will pray for your needs
God Bless  
Malvina
(09-04-2018, 06:16 AM)malvina82 Wrote: With God's help I worked out a strategy   I decided I DIDN'T HAVE TO STOP....but just keep it under control.
Hi Malvina, 

I can see a calamity waiting to happen, faith or no faith, machines are geared to make money.  Many times I thought that I "could" control the addiction, and sometime, yes I could, but it wouldn't be for extended periods of time, eventually, the stakes got bigger and so did the losses.  

It certainly appear that complacency has got the better of you, have you shared this in a GA meeting?  If so, what was the consensus of opinion on the matter?

This is not good advice for any member, many who have nearly lost everything and get to the point where they know they need to stop. 

Are you going to GA meetings?

In Unity

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
My experience has been that this disease for me is progressive in nature. That for a while it can all seem manageable, then off guard under the right set of circumstances the compulsion takes over and I cannot stop. For me the only solution is complete abstinence from gambling, attending GA meetings and working the 12 steps with a sponsor.
(09-04-2018, 04:38 PM)aurecovery Wrote: My experience has been that this disease for me is progressive in nature.  That for a while it can all seem manageable, then off guard under the right set of circumstances the compulsion takes over and I cannot stop. For me the only solution is complete abstinence from gambling, attending GA meetings and working the 12 steps with a sponsor.

I couldn't agree more, this is what I do, and it's why I am now over 2 years in recovery.
I understand what you say - and DO agree with you! - all the way..
There are no meetings in the Barossa that I know of. All the time I'm working ways to keep things under control I have helped myself a lot by having savings in an account that I can't touch and another that I have to transfer before I can This has helped me to relax
We are all different. I have faced that I am an obsessive compulsive person. I have a disease of the nervous system that affects my nerves and my father was the same He had one obsession after another. If I completely give up the slots I will just develop another one which could be more harmful. I accept myself now for the first time in my life am happier and this helps me to relax. I found that the times I overspent on the slots was the times I was unhappy and depressed so my goal now is to keep myself happy. My heart was affected by FEAR! that I would lose control but I never did. I always paid my bills but I had no savings... which was nothing unusual for me I started my life in poverty and with a low morale developed the habit of 'giving money away' to my kids - which helped them to setup their professions.
Thankyou for your posts they will help me a lot I'm always playing mind tricks to stop myself playing. Today late afternoon was just the time I NEEDED to go to town and drop in the hotel.... instead I decided to get a taxi to the next town and do some good shopping treating myself to nice food instead. Whether it was deliberate or not..i don't know but I forgot to take my credit card! and had to use my spare cash (that I won last week) instead. I came home with my bank account intact and some nice prawns for tea instead.
Thanks again. I really should offer to help here I have moderated a forum but my eyes are too bad now they strain easy and I am cutting down my time online
God Bless You
Malvina
My name is  Stamps and my last gamble was on ,01-04-2011
Hi Malvina
I have read your  therapy and I am completely gutted about your way of thinking, You  been  gambling  on and off  like myself  and win and  loose  alot for extended periods  of  time  and  as you know the stakes increase  we  gamblers  can not  control  the addiction,.
If you think  you can   good for you but  you  should know that you are wrong  about it in a way  you  promote  gambling  , gambling  never gives any benefit  to anyone   and   it does not help   to anyone  your  way of thinking at all.
Best  wishes  with your  health.
Stamps