Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to this. Please help
Hi
I'm 38 and from the midlands. I've decided to join here as I have a big problem with gambling. I've not told my family and can't talk to my friends. I maxed out my forth and final credit card on Saturday night on an online gambling site, and I'm now broke with a baby due in a few weeks and mounting bills. I joined this site as I feel I have nowhere else to turn or people to talk to. I know I'm an idiot for gambling money I don't have, but I'm just at a real low now and need to do something to sort my life out as the weight on my shoulders is just getting to the point of no return.
Please help
Thank You,  
Simpson.
Hi Simpson,

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully welcome to your local GA meeting. You are not alone, far from it, in both the gambling problem and name too :-).

Take a look at the meetings section and find your nearest meeting. It can be really hard telling your loved ones, but from my experience and that of many others, it's something that if not disclosed will likely hold you back in recovery. All the time I kept the gambling a secret, and tried stopping on my own, it was easier to go back to gambling, because no one knew. It kept my sick for longer and with honesty comes accountability and it's a much stronger position to stay off a bet with the combination of working at recovery through the GA fellowship. I'm a similar age to you, well actually I was 1 year younger when I finally surrendered and both admitted and accepted that I was an addict (compulsive gambler). Once accepted it's a foundation to move forward to build a life without gambling and it's totally possible, and the debts can be dealt with in a manageable fashion.

Wishing you well

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
Thanks. Really appreciate it.
Not sure I'm ready to tell the family yet, I'm just happy I can talk to some one ..
ok, you may not ready to tell your family yet, but are you ready to get to a meeting to meet like minded people who collectively help each other stop gambling and stay stopped together?

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.