Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At a lost end
Hi there,
My partner is a gambling addict. I have known about his addition for a couple of years, of the 6years we have been together. He did seek help when I first found out and is repaying the debt. I thought I had supported him through it and he wasn't gambling anymore. About 4months ago I found a betting slip in his car, he did not deny it but said it was a one off. He felt that it was okay as didn't see that he had a problem as the debt was being paid. My world fell apart, as the realisation that he will always be controlled by the addiction until he comes to the realisation that he has an addition and always will have. I now don't trust him in anyway and feel that out live together is all a lie. I feel so relieved not to have children with him, but yet still I haven't walked away. I do not want to take full control of his money, as i feel like he will only feel resentful towards me. He is a wonderful man, caring, loving and I know that none of this is an reflection on how he feels about me. But I feel that if I keep standing by him that he won't hit rock bottom and there for never change for himself. On the other hand what if I'm wrong?! He said he will try going to GA, I hope that he does. I can't handle all the lies and the lack of trust in our relationship, it's killing me emotionally and mentally. I do not believe that I was a one off slip up and have no way of ever knowing the truth. I don't know if I'm mentally able to have this happen over and over again but well aware that that is a possibility being with a addict. I don't know what to do for myself and for him. Any advise is welcomed.
Thank you.
Please any advise.....
Hi Sam,

Please have a look at going to gamanon meetings for yourself, and for him, going to GA and being honest will be a good start. I lied for years whilst gambling and when speaking to my wife, it was the lies that did the most damage, not necessarily the gambling itself.

Wishing you both well
Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.