Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 year medallion
It's coming up to my year anniversary of abstainance, unfortunately due to circumstances outside my control with family illness and work/re-training commitments  I have only been able to make it to 19 meetings and by the time my year comes round it will only be 21 meetings. Is there any way I would be able to get a medallion? I just want it to mark the occasion and to keep reminding me how far I've come.
Have you spoken with your group about your anniversary? What did they say?
Meetings help, but meetings are only a small part to how GA works....

GA is a 12 step organisation that offers the program that keeps me in recovery...

(24-04-2019, 08:00 PM)smartie Wrote: Have you spoken with your group about your anniversary?  What did they say?

I haven't had chance to speak with them about the medallion but the meetings I've been to where members have reached the same anniversary they have said you need to reach 26 meetings to get a medallion
Some groups have a 24 meeting attendance required and others have 26 in order to get a coin. If you don't meet the requirement you'll normally get a recognition on the day nearest your anniversary.
Have a chat to your group and explain how you feel about reaching the year and see if you could get one anyway. If the group don't know they can't make the decision.
If it's a no then enjoy the recognition and try and attend more to get one at year two.
Like Chris says, groups do have some discretion on medallion requirements, so its certainly worth a discussion.

From personal experience, a medallion ( or pin as we used to get) was a nice touch, but its the recognition i felt in myself that really mattered. I knew i was putting 80% into my recovery and could always put more effort in if needs be.

Do you attend other meetings in GA as they all count towards the requirement?

Finally the gift of a medallion should be more than simply attendance of meetings, i've always been taught its involvement in helping GA members in my group, region and fellowship as a whole. Its why GA offers sponsorship, involvement and encourages people to work on their spiritual recovery. Food for thought maybe?

Smartie xx
Meetings help, but meetings are only a small part to how GA works....

GA is a 12 step organisation that offers the program that keeps me in recovery...

I'm in a controling relationship and not allowed out in evenings. I won't be able to go to any meetings which is sad as I want to get help.
Winniebago could you give more details? Are you male or female? What happens if you go out? Do you have anyone near you who could help with your situation? Does your "partner" know about your problem?
(24-04-2019, 07:16 PM)Itsgrimupnorth Wrote: It's coming up to my year anniversary of abstainance, unfortunately due to circumstances outside my control with family illness and work/re-training commitments  I have only been able to make it to 19 meetings and by the time my year comes round it will only be 21 meetings. Is there any way I would be able to get a medallion? I just want it to mark the occasion and to keep reminding me how far I've come.

Hi my meetings are Scotland just wondering if it’s different in the GA UK as in Scotland for a pin it’s 40 meeting unless exceptional circumstances, and is it called a medallion in GA UK ? Or is this slang?
Regarding the name, it used to be a pining as you got an actual pin, like a lapel or tie pin, with the number of years clean on it. Nowadays you get a coin, again, with the number of years clean on it as well as the serenity prayer on the other side. Some call it a pining or a birthday but you actually receive a coin, or medallion, it's the same thing, a token of abstinence.