Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A reading about addiction.
AN ADDICT FELL IN A HOLE and couldn’t get out.
A businessman went by and the addict called out for help. The businessman threw him some money and told him to buy himself a ladder. But the addict could not buy a ladder in this hole he was in.
A doctor walked by. The addict said, “Help! I can’t get out!” The doctor gave him some drugs and said, “Take this. It will relieve the pain.” The addict said thanks, but when the pills ran out, he was still in the hole.
A well-known psychiatrist rode by and heard the addict’s cries for help. He stopped and asked, ” How did you get there? Were you born there? Did your parents put you there? Tell me about yourself, it will alleviate your sense of loneliness.” So the addict talked with him for an hour, then the psychiatrist had to leave, but he said he’d be back next week.
The addict thanked him, but he was still in the hole. A priest came by. The addict called for help. The priest gave him a Bible and said, “I’ll say a prayer for you.” He got down on his knees and prayed for the addict, then he left. The addict was very grateful, he read the Bible, but he was still stuck in the hole.
A recovering addict happened to be passing by. The addict cried out, “Hey, help me. I’m stuck in this hole!” Right away the recovering addict jumped down in the hole with him. The addict said, “What are you doing? Now we’re both stuck here!!” But the recovering addict said, “Calm down. It’s okay. I’ve been here before. I know how to get out.”
Excellent Reading!!

This is one of reasons why Gamblers Anonymous has worked so well, so far for myself.

I do honesty believe the other members at the meetings I attended played a massive part in my recovery, because they could totally relate to the despair I was engulfed in and understand the true nature of the mission I was trying to achieve. There was a real magic to the meetings that I absorbed and consequently that had a positive effect on my mood helped me get through the week, one day at a time.

In Unity
Martin
My name is Martin, I am a compulsive gambler, my last bet was 29.9.2017. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things that I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
Thanks Martin,
It's one of my favourite readings and reminds me that meetings are the place to get real sustainable help and are more than just two hours a week.
Wonder how many in GA know there is sponsorship in GA? I know its not always explicit and sometimes you do need to search out for it, but certainly from my perspective worth doing...

Smartie xx
Meetings help, but meetings are only a small part to how GA works....

GA is a 12 step organisation that offers the program that keeps me in recovery...

Seems absurd that people in program do not even know about program. Sponsorship was and is a major part of recovery that was inserted in program by the founding fathers of GA for a very good reason. And that reason is that it was recognized that it very difficult to do it alone and often you need the help of a "big brother of sister" at a moments notice. And thats what a sponsor should provide, immediate 24/7 help. So if you don't have a sponsor, ask about getting one at your next meeting. If you're told that your room does not use or need sponsors, find yourself another room. Make use of every facet of the program. You will need it and you will not regret it.
What a fantastic story!!!

Really inspiring!
(26-06-2019, 09:50 PM)Chris_b Wrote: AN ADDICT FELL IN A HOLE and couldn’t get out.
A businessman went by and the addict called out for help. The businessman threw him some money and told him to buy himself a ladder. But the addict could not buy a ladder in this hole he was in.
A doctor walked by. The addict said, “Help! I can’t get out!” The doctor gave him some drugs and said, “Take this. It will relieve the pain.” The addict said thanks, but when the pills ran out, he was still in the hole.
A well-known psychiatrist rode by and heard the addict’s cries for help. He stopped and asked, ” How did you get there? Were you born there? Did your parents put you there? Tell me about yourself, it will alleviate your sense of loneliness.” So the addict talked with him for an hour, then the psychiatrist had to leave, but he said he’d be back next week.
The addict thanked him, but he was still in the hole. A priest came by. The addict called for help. The priest gave him a Bible and said, “I’ll say a prayer for you.” He got down on his knees and prayed for the addict, then he left. The addict was very grateful, he read the Bible, but he was still stuck in the hole.
A recovering addict happened to be passing by. The addict cried out, “Hey, help me. I’m stuck in this hole!” Right away the recovering addict jumped down in the hole with him. The addict said, “What are you doing? Now we’re both stuck here!!” But the recovering addict said, “Calm down. It’s okay. I’ve been here before. I know how to get out.”

Nice example yet we need to understand the recovery program helps you help your self.

For my healing and my recovery I needed to put more time and effort in to my recovery that time and effort I put in to my unhealthy habits.

The recovery program helps you understand that any one can make much healthier choices in their life.

The addictions and obsessions were a form of escape for me.

I was not a stupid person, I was not a bad person, I was not a evil or wrong person, I was a vulnerable person.

Each time we go back to unhealthy habits while in our recovery is not a failure but a lesson to learn from.

The recovery program helps you heal understand our feelings and our emotions and to make healthier choices.

The recovery program helps you to work as a team, I am equal to all people.

I am a non religious person who has learned to have faith and hope in myself.

Love and peace to every one.

Dave L

AKA Dave of Beckenham
I agree that we have to help ourselves but I for one would still be in the hole if it wasn't for others who understood, didn't judge and offered support and advice through experience. That's the whole purpose of the post.
You only needed to watch the two recent programs on gambling on itv and bbc to see the reactions of the presenters who had absolutely no idea of what compulsive gambling does to a person, mentally and morally. Imagine explaining what you had done during your gambling days and how you would have felt being judged at the same time that you are emptying your soul?
Once you are out of the hole then with the continued support of the room, the program and willingness, then it's down to you.