Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting out of control
I have been gambling for the past 18 years, I try to stop but I get an overwhelming need to bet on roulette and slots online, the biggest bets the better.  I have lost around £xx and I just don't know how to stop it's like a switch and the more I try to not gamble the bigger the mess I make when I slip up, I don't pay debts or buy clothes or other nice things for myself, I have very low self-esteem and don't feel I deserve anything nice . I haven't been able to have a relationship as an adult and I'm 36 now so I really need help
I have been gambling for 18 months and I understand how difficult it is to stop. I ended up chasing losses and tried a cooking off period. My debt is quite high. I have now signed to Gamstop who exclude from all gambling in the uk. Have you tried that
(14-04-2020, 04:01 PM)Nickty1 Wrote: I have been gambling for the past 18 years, I try to stop but I get an overwhelming need to bet on roulette and slots online, the biggest bets the better.  I have lost around £xx and I just don't know how to stop it's like a switch and the more I try to not gamble the bigger the mess I make when I slip up, I don't pay debts or buy clothes or other nice things for myself, I have very low self-esteem and don't feel I deserve anything nice . I haven't been able to have a relationship as an adult and I'm 36 now so I really need help

Hi

I did not have much faith hope or confidence in myself before I took recovery seriously.

The gambling and obsessions were a form of escape in my fears.

I even use to think that the adrenaline highs were fun and exciting, sadly every time I lied it made things much worse, the high levels of fear caused me to go int o panic mode where I could not think things out clearly.

The more lies I told the greater the fears grew in me.

In the recovery program it was not about who was right wrong good or bad but more about what was healthy or unhealthy for me.

It seemed like an impossible task to hand over money and finances I could not be trusted with money, I could not trust myself with money.

Going between fear and panic was not healthy for me or my family.

The addiction was a complete waste of relationships and time, today I am more emotionally disconnected from many unhealthy habits.

The addiction did not control my life, the addiction and obsessions were just forms of escape from people life and situations I could not emotionally cope with.

For every unhealthy habit I gave up I took up another healthy habit.

I have the choice today to be healthy and content, I have the choice today to be more mature and embrace emotional intimacy with myself and other people.

Keep going to meetings you will benefit for it over time.

Love and peace to every one.

Dave L

AKA Dave of Beckenham