Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serveral years gambling
Tongue 
Hi, I'm new round here, well new to making posts anyway. In a nut shell I have been gambling, with the problems most problem gamblers have, for about 10 years, and I would say the early years were troublesome rather the last few years, maybe 5, which I feel I have no control over. I have tried many things, self ex, gamstop, gamcare etc, all of which have been some use but none seem to help me 100%. I dont blame the above its is me as a gambling addict.  I am a middle aged man and over the last few years I have been addicted to, sports betting, mainly football,  which I haven't done for about 12 months now, to be replaced by slots, online, which I have now banned, and then bookies, which I banned about 4 months ago, but now I often find myself in arcades or bookies in different areas, my job takes me over large parts of the UK, mainly from the Birmingham area south covering most of Central/Southern England as well as the majority of Wales. Apart from banning myself from every arcade (or similar) from all these areas I know I dont have the resistance to not go in, god knows I have tried, I know I am not the only one, i read many of the posts, i absolutely hate this addiction, it seems something that maybe there isn't any way of stopping this, although I see some or many people have. I often gamble with the thought not of winning but of hoping I lose so therefore I might be able to break this horrible thing, doesn't work though and no I don't win either. Sorry I am just letting off a little steam. I hope everyone on here manages to stop this addiction one day, I think that would make everyone happy. Sorry it was a larger nut shell than originally thought  Huh
(14-09-2021, 12:36 AM)Stevejwright Wrote: Hi, I'm new round here, well new to making posts anyway. In a nut shell I have been gambling, with the problems most problem gamblers have, for about 10 years, and I would say the early years were troublesome rather the last few years, maybe 5, which I feel I have no control over. I have tried many things, self ex, gamstop, gamcare etc, all of which have been some use but none seem to help me 100%. I dont blame the above its is me as a gambling addict.  I am a middle aged man and over the last few years I have been addicted to, sports betting, mainly football,  which I haven't done for about 12 months now, to be replaced by slots, online, which I have now banned, and then bookies, which I banned about 4 months ago, but now I often find myself in arcades or bookies in different areas, my job takes me over large parts of the UK, mainly from the Birmingham area south covering most of Central/Southern England as well as the majority of Wales. Apart from banning myself from every arcade (or similar) from all these areas I know I dont have the resistance to not go in, god knows I have tried, I know I am not the only one, i read many of the posts, i absolutely hate this addiction, it seems something that maybe there isn't any way of stopping this, although I see some or many people have. I often gamble with the thought not of winning but of hoping I lose so therefore I might be able to break this horrible thing, doesn't work though and no I don't win either. Sorry I am just letting off a little steam. I hope everyone on here manages to stop this addiction one day, I think that would make everyone happy. Sorry it was a larger nut shell than originally thought  Huh

Hi 

Sorry at this time you are in pain and not sure how to get out of the self destructive loop of escaping emotions and taking up unhealthy addictions. I like many people found it very hard to abstain. Yet all the time I was in the rooms of recovery I was not hurting myself. It took me more than 3 meetings per week to just abstain. There were many times I wanted to not go to meetings. Yet in time after going in and out of recovery meetings I got it. It is important to not give up on your self. If there are not GA meetings where you are or not enough go to other addiction groups. I often found I was welcome in AA. The meeting helped me heal my pains and helped me value myself and my life. No matter when you last bet was keep going to meetings. They are life savers. Thank you for sharing your pains with us. Thanks Dave L AKA Dave of Beckenham
Hello,

Welcome to GA forum, and thank you for your contribution

Well done for talking about your gambling, I kept it too myself and tried not to address, or even accept the issue for many years.

I went to a GA meeting where I found I could vent out my feeling there, and also listen to other people sharing their stories of how bad gambling affected their personal lives, and the great recovery stories.

There is the Orange book you can also read on the GA website, that will answer a lot of questions you may need to want answers too.

Please feel free to keep posting, it's great to hear from all the members on their journey through recovery.

In unity
Martin
My name is Martin, I am a compulsive gambler, my last bet was 29.9.2017. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things that I can, and wisdom to know the difference.