Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you know if they are an addict?
Hi,

I am a compulsive gambler and online poker was my downfall. I cannot tell you if you partner has lost control of his gambling but when I was in control, I would only play for a short periods. Quite quickly I became obsessed with it. I would read books and magazines about how to improve. When I lost control, I would play for hours. Any spare time in my day was spent playing poker. I withdrew myself from the world, took time off work and hardly ever went out. If you play for hours and hours every day then inevitably you will end up losing and chasing losses. Controlled gamblers who grind out a living on these sites play for set (short) periods of time.

I suggest you talk to your partner about this. We gamblers are very good at lying about the extent of our problems and I only came clean when I'd hit rock bottom. I hope this is not the case for you. If he does have a problem he may not be willing to admit it yet. Ask him to look at this site and read some of the stories on here as it may help to know that he is not alone. If he has a problem then it is likely that he hates himself for what he's doing to you. But by admitting it and attending GA it can be beaten.

Good luck to you both and I hope it hasn't gotten to that stage.

S_A_L

Messages In This Thread
How do you know if they are an addict? - by Guest - 28-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Re: How do you know if they are an addict? - by westy - 29-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Re: How do you know if they are an addict? - by Guest - 29-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Re: How do you know if they are an addict? - by been there - 29-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Re: How do you know if they are an addict? - by Guest - 29-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Re: How do you know if they are an addict? - by Guest - 30-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Re: How do you know if they are an addict? - by Guest - 02-04-2010, 12:45 AM