Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mum to my Son
Hi Lorraine

I am a compulsive gambler.
Sorry to hear about your son's gambling woes.

You have done the right thing in not giving him money. What would he have spent it on?
You and I both know the answer to that.

I know this is hard for you, for any family member to see someone you love destroy themselves due to this addiction. All you can really do is offer to help in a non-materialistic way.
You have already urged him to seek the help he needs at a GA meeting. There are other options in the UK such as free online/telephone and face to face counselling. These options are not available via GA.

We often refer to a person reaching his/her "rock bottom"... a point wheer the gambler admits to themselves that "this is as far as I want to go & I need help". This rock bottom varies with each compulsive gambler...your son may not have reached his limit yet. Some of the "lucky" gamblers do not need to reach this low point before they realise they need help, and ask for said help.
I hope your son is in the latter group.

For your info, GA has a sister fellowship called GAMANON. It is attended by family/friends of the gambler. This meeting usually takes place in the same building & the same time as the GA meeting, but in a different room. Have a look for your nearest GAMANON meeting. I think you will gain an insight into our world, and also get a lot of support & help from these members.

Best Wishes
Roy

Messages In This Thread
Mum to my Son - by lorraine - 20-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Re: Mum to my Son - by Guest - 21-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Re: Mum to my Son - by Guest - 25-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Re: Mum to my Son - by Guest - 26-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Re: Mum to my Son - by Guest - 27-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Re: Mum to my Son - by teejay - 29-05-2010, 10:50 AM