Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tackling my gambling - Help!
Dear Wizard,

There is no 'magic wand' (excuse the pun) to "cure" your problem. Well I didn't find one anyway. What I did find though, when I became ready to do something about my gambling problem and started looking for help with it, was a marvellous fellowship of men and women who have gathered together to do something about their problem and to carry the message to the still suffering compulsive gambler. This fellowship is entitled Gamblers Anonymous (GA). I found out about it from an old fashioned poster on a wall in the citizens advice bureau - hence my GA nickname 'Poster' David. Back then there was no website, but there were some face to face meetings held up and down the country and there was a telephone helpline, staffed by volunteers, to direct you to your nearest one. It would sound to me, Wizard, that it would be a sensible move on your part to attend some of these meetings. They still take place and are still the primary method by which Gamblers Anonymous members make progress on their own personal road to recovery. The telephone helpline still functions, still voluntarily staffed, to direct you to your nearest meeting should you require further help in attending.
The Gamblers Anonymous program worked for me. Attendance at meetings was crucial. I met other people from a range of backgrounds who, like me, thought they were the "only one". Eventually I began to listen to what was said at meetings and my life began to improve. I still attend today, because I still find that attendance helps me. I believe the GA program will work for you too, but it is entirely in your hands whether or not you accept the hand of friendship offered and begin to attend some meetings.

If you have the support of your family so much the better. They (your family) may wish to find out more about our 'sister' fellowship GamAnon and they can do this by visiting their website. This is a separate fellowship for those persons affected by the compulsive gambling of someone else.

Hope these words are useful.

Yours in GA unity

'Poster' David

Messages In This Thread
Tackling my gambling - Help! - by Guest - 19-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Re: Tackling my gambling - Help! - by Poster David - 20-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Re: Tackling my gambling - Help! - by Guest - 21-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Re: Tackling my gambling - Help! - by Guest - 26-09-2010, 08:51 AM