Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even though the inheritance is gone-the family is still here
Dear Chewy0901,

I am very sorry for the situation you find yourself in. The thing that hit me most about your story is that at 19 years old you should not have to be worrying about things like this, you should be enjoying your life.

I was a compulsive gambler and still am. I do not gambler anymore though as I know the effects it will have on myself and my loved ones. Unfortunately until I realised this for myself there was nothing anyone could do or say that would have changed the way I was behaving. I understand how your dad feels, it is an awful illness that some people may think is easy to control, however while I was gambling I was truly powerless to this unbelievable urge to gamble. I am not saying for one minute that what you father has done/is doing is ok, it is certainly not. I am trying to say that until he realises the mess that gambling is causing for himself and his family, he will not change.

I am by no means a gambling counsellor, I just have my own experience and my advice to you would be to try and enjoy YOUR life. I appreciate that you are worried for your sister and I would be the same. You have not mentioned your mother, is she not around to help care for your sister? Look for Gamanon, maybe someone else could tell you where to find them. This is for family members of compulsive gamblers I believe. They may be able to give you much better advice than me. I just wanted to write and say I am deeply sadened by your story and I truly hope that your father realises soon what mess he is causing.

Good Luck to you and your family

JohnB

Messages In This Thread
Re: Even though the inheritance is gone-the family is still - by JohnB. - 18-03-2011, 11:49 AM