Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
giving it a go
Hi Mike and all other board members.

Felt compelled to post having got my myself into a hole again in the early hours of this morning.

Isn't it funny how you'll only ever admit you have a problem after a heavy loss and not after a (rare) win?

Anyway, I'm 32 myself like Mike. I live with my partner and have done for the past year in our first home. The last 9mths has seen my addiction develop like never before. You would have thought the pressure of having a mortgage hanging over my head would have helped, but it's had the opposite affect. Having less of my own money to play with each month has more than likley contributed to me attempting to get a bit back so I have more financial freedom.

I do have a question (sorry to hijack your thread Mike, but didn't want to start my own and wanted collected thoughts of others on a existing thread) about my own position ...

I'm at my worst when I turn to slots (mug) and poker - this is where I have suffered heavy losses. These I could do without (obviously) and never really 'look forward' to playing them (knowing what's gone on before is no doubt a factor), but my passion is horse racing. I follow it closely each day, but generally only bet at big meetings or decent weekend racing. Reason I love it so much is because it allows me to spend time with my Brother where we'll have a drink together.

Now I obviously want to cleanse myself of this terrible addiction (slots & poker), but is this possible to achieve by just keeping to recreational gambling with my Brother every couple of weeks or so? Or am I just kidding myself?

I realise no one can answer this for me, but was looking to hear other peoples thoughts if they have tried to do something similar?

I don't really suffer losses when gambling on horse racing and even if I did, I do not stake the ridiculous amounts I throw at slots & poker, so can therefore 'live' with the consequences (or believe I can at least).

Any thoughts are welcome - thanks in advance.

Mike - I hope Day 2 passed much the same as Day 1

Messages In This Thread
Re: giving it a go - by Guest - 29-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Re: giving it a go - by cleo - 30-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Re: giving it a go - by Guest - 31-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Re: giving it a go - by Guest - 01-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Re: giving it a go - by Guest - 02-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Re: giving it a go - by Guest - 02-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Re: giving it a go - by paul manchester - 03-04-2011, 07:17 PM