Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help - my sons a gambler.
My son is a gambler too and he is only 20, but has finally admitted to it and also to exactly how much he's been throwing away. He has agreed to go to GA which I am sure will help him. I hope your son will do the same because I understand what it is like to watch your own child destroy themselves. It is such a worry. Good luck and I shall be thinking of you.
I understand your need to off load all of this worry over your son and how you feel that you need to 'bail' him out once again! but you will certainly be doing him NO favour as this will be only a quick fix for him. Sorry to say this but he needs to own and acknowledge his addiction and until he does unfortunately he may have to go much further with the destructive nature of this illness.
I can only offer you advice from my perspective as I am a Compulsive Gambler in recovery and I gambled for years and was enabled by different family members who gave me loans and 'bail outs'. When these finally dried up I got into such a financial and emotional mess that I realized that I had to do something about it, that's when I found GA and have managed to turn my life around from hopeless to happiness.
Your Son needs to hit rock bottom - alone, before he hopefully seeks help. Get some GA literature and give it to him to read and tell him that you will support him if he seeks help.
Be fully aware that us CG's can be very, very cunning and maninpulative to support our habit. Do him a favour and don't bail him out financially. I know this may seem tough for a Mother to do but the sooner he gets the appropriate help the better for him and his life.
Also maybe you can get along to a Gamanon meeting (you will find these on this web site) and you will get a lot of support from there. These people have been in the same situation as you.
Regards
Helen