Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEED TO QUIT FOR MY SELF
Nick,
I dont think they make a scale for gamblers...and if they did I would be ultimately intrigued where I would come.

I pressume way way above anything normal, I also went to see councilors 1-1 to try to understand, however this doesnt work, why? because the councilor to me was just an empathetic ear, to listen and advise. Inside a GA room I was surrounded by women and men who all share one desease to be a compulsive gambler, its where I was able to do one thing I had not done before "be Honest and Open" without fear of shame.

Compulsive means once we start we cannot stop, its all we think about. From this we become compulsive liars, we dream, we fantasise and were quite simply not normal. We know no limits to the harm we can do ourselves when in action and will continue to harm ourselves.

The great thing for me about GA is suddenly I was in a room where I was understood, I got a kick up the backside for negative thinking and praise for positive thinking, the advice from people who understood means I can continue a NORMAL life.

You say you live no where local to a GA and yet I believe (if I am not mistaken) that no matter where you live a GA meeting will be within 30-40miles anywhere in the UK.

If you live on the outer of this and you really want and desire to be NORMAL just for a day, possibly a week, maybe a year and hopoefully a lifetime then that 30-40miles is nothing in terms of time and expense to go, you seriously get out of this what YOU put in.

I WOULD spend 12hrs gambling but to drive for 40mins to go to a meeting that might save me a lot of money this week? Rational thinking or that of a compulsive gambler in action who doesnt wish to stop.

Dont get me wrong, being homeless is great fun, eating rubbish weekly is great fun, not sleeping with stress is great fun, worrying about debts is great fun, sadly no but from 16-30yrs old thats what I did.

However JUST for today I wont gamble. Go to a meeting, find it and you will see.

Note my last admission its what GA tought me more than anything:

My name is Barrie and I will always be a compulsive gambler, but just for today I will not gamble.

I would love to tell you how my life is getting better now, through admission, diligence and trying to be positive.

TC

Barrie

Messages In This Thread
NEED TO QUIT FOR MY SELF - by stefto - 11-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Re: NEED TO QUIT FOR MY SELF - by wangman28 - 11-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Re: NEED TO QUIT FOR MY SELF - by barrieexgambler - 12-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Re: NEED TO QUIT FOR MY SELF - by stefto - 12-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Re: NEED TO QUIT FOR MY SELF - by neilboy27 - 12-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Re: NEED TO QUIT FOR MY SELF - by barrieexgambler - 13-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Re: NEED TO QUIT FOR MY SELF - by stefto - 14-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Re: NEED TO QUIT FOR MY SELF - by stefto - 14-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Re: NEED TO QUIT FOR MY SELF - by stefto - 14-05-2011, 08:27 AM