Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i feel stupid
I dont feel right going to ga meeting, I have lost everything and nearly lost my other half but am worrid about going to the meetings as its just fruit machines that im addicted to!
Hi Nick,

You say you have nearly lost everything through gambling and feel silly going to GA meetings. I have been a compulsive gambler fo a very long time and to, nearly lost everything too many times. I started on fruit machines then over the years the illness progressed and convinced myself it was about the money. So started going on bigger fruit machines then roulette in bookies. The truth is it doesn't matter what the gambling is if YOU feel its effecting your life you need to do something about it. I from first hand experience can tell you that once you are in the room with fellow GA members you won't feel silly one bit. The first step is admitting you need help and the second is to find it. I wish you all the best and hope you give GA a try.

My name is Dave and I am a compulsive gambler.
Hi nick o

Fruit machines eh!!! I was addicted to them too, loved every aspect of them. then I found that I was not buying my round in the pub and not being sociable, then I got to the stage where I wasnt invited out anymore.
Meetings are a life saver, they are for me anyway, and your life can get better by attendign meetings, following the programme and taking it one day at a time mate......hope you find your salvation, I found mine x

Mo
hi my names steve been a compulsive gambler for 24 years been to treatment twice and meetins i have had everything more than once and lost it all for a gamble but i thank whatever it is that keeps me alive that maybe one day i can stop and get back from the lies and hurt to being the person i can still remember before this nightmare began stick with it dont be like me and always look for the excuse
Nick,

I have spent over 30 years of my life saying the same thing. I used to look around at people who spent all day in bookies and planning their next big bet, and laughed at them. I was not the same as them, I was not interested in horses, greyhounds, footie betting etc. , only fruit machines (and later, the poker machines in bookies which I still think of as fruit machines). Surely this meant I was not addicted? Betting is filling in slips in bookies, but you play fruit machines. If I was only playing, then I couldn't be addicted, could I?

I knew I had a problem, but it was limited and manageable I thought. I was completely blinded to the impact this was having on my life, not just from a financial aspect but also from a personal perspective. Recently, having separated from my wife and finding myself both financially and spiritually bankrupt, I decided to man up and do something about it.

I got the courage to walk through the doors of a GA meeting about 10 weeks ago, and for those 70 days I can honestly say it is the best decision I have ever made.

For the first time in my life, I think I was honest enough to say those words "my name is ron and I am a compulsive gambler", and knew i was uttering them truthfully and not just trying to please those around me. It's taken me a while to understand what it really meant, but it does not mean I have the urge to gamble on everything. It just means I cannot have one bet on anything, as I have no control.

I really don't know where I would be if I hadn't accepted I needed help and managed to find it in the embrace of those rooms. I have started to understand myself better and those around me. I can 100% state that this is due to the warmth, understanding and support of the people I have met in GA, and I will be forever grateful for this. I hope that this will provide me with the strength to improve my life and stay away from the pain and loathing gambling has brought to me. I pray it is a lifetime's change, but all I can say is today I will not gamble, and that is as good as it gets. What I do know is I will continue to attend meetings as they give me strength to combat this illness.

Nick, take the plunge and go to a meeting. Help and support is there, you just need to want it.

Good luck in whatever you choose, and I hope you find a better life away from gambling.

Ron.
Hi

When in the grips of addiction or an obsession we will do or say things which are unhealthy.

We need to understand that when a beaten dog shakes in fear they do not have a choice.

In recovery once we heal and embrace spiritual values we understand in those old days we did not have a choice.

Please do not beat your self upo it does not help at all.

We learn to be more caring loving and more patient with our self.

Take care

Dave of Beckenham