Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheer frustration
I'm not great at making introductions, so I'll just jump straight in.

Over the past few years I've blown a massive amount of savings and money on gambling, and in a way have tried to deny it by thinking that somebody has dug themselves into a deeper hole, or has lost a load more money, before coming to the realisation that if I've lost £x amount and someone else has lost £X amount, if we both now have next to nothing, I'm really in no better position than them!

My problem (and this is going to sound familiar to many of you, I'm sure) is that I didn't just restrict myself to one source of money, but gambled with whatever I could. Student loan which I could have used to pay off credit cards instead went on gambling, thus making my credit card hole even deeper. I've maxed out my card and can guarantee that every month I have arrears to pay, which I can't because I currently have no work Even dole money is used to feed the addiction!

Am I ashamed of this?

In truth, it only starts to hit you once you start putting it in writing. I'm living with my mother at the moment and fear that if she finds out that I've sunk back into this again, I'll be thrown out or there will at least be serious strain. Let me be clear, I don't expect sympathy at all, or even that people understand what I've done, but at the same time, having a slanging match is not going to help matters.

My main vice is Internet gambling and supposed "skill gaming". I do go into bookies and have physical bets, but never crazy stakes and always sports, I've never played any of the machines. However, the Net is where my trouble starts - whether It's because not physically handing over the money makes a difference, I don't know, but I have severe trouble stopping once I've started.

The big problem for me, is what I'd call "logical betting". That is, pick sports you know about and restrict yourself to that. I very often get "near miss" bets (e.g. winning two parts of a treble) rather than betting on completely random stuff, but in a way this might almost make things worse, in that you think your "knowledge" will mean a win is due soon, when in reality it might not happen for ages.

I had a gambling blocker installed, and in truth, it was the best thing I could have done, because I now see what I was able to claw back from not spending on betting, but the year ran out, I thought I could control things, and I did...for a month.

This time, things have to change, and I really believe I can do it. No betting today, so that's already a start, so my target now is the full week, which I know I'll do.

Hopefully, things can get back on track from here.

Messages In This Thread
Sheer frustration - by RobertReni - 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Re: Sheer frustration - by barrieexgambler - 09-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Re: Sheer frustration - by RobertReni - 11-08-2011, 01:05 AM