Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Mr Blue Sky,

Thankyou for your submission to the forum and welcome to Gamblers Anonymous (GA). I'm afraid I gave up on "Clockwork Orange" due to the funny language and extreme violence so I cannot place the scene you mention. I have seen "Trainspotting" though and your story sounds like Tommy (Kevin McKidd) who persuades Mark (Ewan McGreggor) to give him some 'stuff' after he finds it difficult to cope [with his break up with his girlfriend Lizzy (Pauline Lynch)]. The next time you see him, his once lovely flat resembles a squat and he is surviving solely for his next 'fix'.
You mention that there is "a GA meeting not far from me" - a sensible idea would be to recommence attendance do you not think? In fact you have actually done that. Hopefully next week the police will not interupt proceedings and you can learn more from it. Perhaps there is another meeting nearby - why wait a week for a meeting if you don't have to? It is obvious from your writing that meetings help you and that you need meetings very much at the moment. As Big Dave points out; "It is obvious that one meeting a week is not enough for you, as this is was what you were doing last time, and it didn't work. For things to work out differently this time, I believe you need to do things differently." I would echo this sentiment.
For things to work out you must stop gambling. The best method that I know for stopping gambling is to attend GA meetings regularly. Get some telephone numbers and when daft thoughts enter your head, such as I fancy breaking my period of abstinence and putting on a bet, make a phone call instead. Share the thought and receive the perspective of another. If you have a 'sure fire thing' isn't it only fair to tell one of your new friends about it? They are very likely to thank you for calling and spend some time explaining why it is that the only sure thing in gambling is that the bookmaker doesn't walk home from the racecourse.
Have a look at "Trainspotting" if you get the chance and see if you identify with any of it, whilst making a committment to attend your next meeting.

Yours in GA unity

'Poster' David

Messages In This Thread
New Member - by Eroschenkodax - 17-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Re: New Member - by Eroschenkodax - 17-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Re: New Member - by Poster David - 17-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Re: New Member - by barrieexgambler - 18-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Re: New Member - by Eroschenkodax - 19-08-2011, 02:50 PM