Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my 20yr old son is gambling and I want to help him
Hi, My son has a gambling problem. It is affecting both our lives as he is spending his wages in a day or two and then has no money for the month. He has attempted suicide and seen a councillor for this. I don't know how to best help him. I will give him the number for GA but I know he has to want to go himself. I dont know how to best help him money wise and how hard or understanding to be. I am a single parent with just my one son, no Dad around for support at all. I want to help him stop, I have been understanding and helped money wise or he won't get to work or pay for his car which he needs for work, but I don't know if I am being too soft, should I be harder? It's so difficult as he takes it all out on me, I know underneath he loves me but he makes me feel like it's all my fault and that his life is a mess because of me. He has a partime job but as well as gambling wants to be able to go out every night and spend £ three figure number a time or it's not worth going! Quote. I think he gambles to try and have these nights out and buy everything in site. I have just helped him clear his debts to relieve some pressure and now he his back to square one with even higher debts and borrowing off me as well as me paying his bills once his money has gone. I just don't know what's the right thing to do. Should I be harder and not help so much with money? But I fear he will loose his job yet again. I have struggled for 20yrs as a single parent but always tried to be happy, now I feel I have failed as a parent and don't know where to turn. He has been a good son up to this faze, never put a foot wrong, a model son. The only problem was being bullied at school, then attempting suicide because of this. My parents are old and I'll and I cant burden them with my troubles. If anyone has any ideas they are very welcome even if it's to tell me I did do it all wrong, I just want to get it right from now on.

Thank you for reading

A very worried Mother.

Messages In This Thread
my 20yr old son is gambling and I want to help him - by Angel - 07-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Re: my 20yr old son is gambling and I want to help him - by barrieexgambler - 08-09-2011, 04:33 AM