Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock botton cant face my local GA meetings
Hi radish

I am sorry to hear of your experience in that GA meeting. I find it very annoying to hear of such things. You are correct, GA is about support one another, however, it is unfortunate that some isolated individuals think they can take it into their own hands to make judgements on others (which is one thing GA discourages).

There is excellent support in GA and, thankfully, not all meetings are like this. I believe there are two meetings in Hull. Maybe you can have a look in the 'Meetings' section. Please don't give up on GA, there is hope and help out there.

I hope things work out for you.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge/Cen. London Sat)
Hi radish

I am sorry to here about your continued experience at this meeting, granted it is with only a couple of members but still, it is not encouraging. I cannot speak for meetings other than the ones on my region (Southern) but there are no leaders in GA and no-one 'runs' the group. There are though, individuals who sadly think outside the box and over time believe that they have some sort of superiorority over other members, because i.e. they might have been off gambling a lot longer or they have been in the Fellowship longer.

It is great that you have attended meetings elsewhere, but why should you?, the doors to any meeting should be welcoming to anyone who wants to stop gambling. One of the GA policies is 'principals before personalities' which is, amongst other things, something that some members cannot grasp let along remember.

In any group environment there are often leadership figures (senior members), and in many cases new members, and ones that have not been around the Fellowship long, often place prominent members of the group on pedastools as this is societies way of acknowledging what they perceive to be hierachy.

maybe you should contact either your regional secretary or trustee and complain. Personally, I would talk about my experience in that particular meeting (obviously without pointing blame or criticising others) in a therapy there and how it has affected you. It is something that I have done before. I used the be the type of person who would not say anything just so it didn't cause a rift, but why should others get away with things just because people don't speak up. When the truth comes out reality hits home.

I hope things work out for you. As I mentioned before, there is a great deal of support in GA. The support is not just in meetings or on this website, there are many other ways to get help.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)