Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In need of help
Hi Cliff.

Although people might say addiction is addiction. Alcohol and gambling abstinence I believe are slightly different. However, the recovery should be just the same!

I truly believe that if someone is applying the 12 Steps properly and working the program then there should be no cross addiction. Replacing one addiction with another is not recovery.

In GA, it is an unfortunate fact that, very few members even attempt the Steps and this lack of encouragement can be passed on to other members. Also, very few have sponsors and, as a result of this, there are very few dedicated Steps meetings around.

Things changed for me when I started working the Steps. I have gone through them with a sponsor and in a group and, without a doubt, the group method I find much more beneficial.

GA is all about self help. The more you put in, the more you get out. It certainly isn't about just turning up to a meeting and expecting your life to change because you sat through 2 hours of therapies. The real work continues outside the meeting place.

On page ten of the orange book it mentions that the personality change, that is necessary to stop, gambling requires diligent effort. It is up to you Cliff to put that effort in.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)
I know the feeling you are talking about. Trust me though, it will go away. However, never forget what it feels like, you don't have to re-live it, just remember it. It is one of a number of things that I have set in place that allow me to dismiss every thought I have of placing a bet.

Although it is suggested that stopping gambling cannot be done through willpower alone, it does make up a great part of it in the early days. So, stay strong Cliff. On a daily basis remember that quote from Abraham Lincoln "most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be". If you decide in the morning that you are going to have a positive/happy day you will, or you will try your hardest to. However, if you decide to be 'grouch of the century', then you certainly will do that.

It is easier to get through life (when in recovery) when you are feeling happy.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)