Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slots addict
Jordanmrs Wrote:I'm new to the forum

Are you new to GA meetings and the 12 step recovery programme?
Jordanmrs Wrote:Hi. I'm new to the forum. after five years of gambling I have come to the realisation that I have a problem! I desperately want to stop gambling. I want to move on from this phase of my life and be a better wife and person. I'm losing interest in work and life in general and have changed so much over the years into someone I don't even know anymore! I have tried to stop but could only manage under a week. It's pathetic I know but I can't lift myself out of this. Just feel really depressed.
your in same boat as me I think,i always loved a bet on horses and football.but last year .while on a website noticed games,slots,ect.never botherd before,thought have a little go.worse thing ever done in my life.lost loads ,cant keep off 1 certain game.when first started playing,got loads free spins,a few decent wins,tht was it ,it sucked me in,right in .in bad debt ,even took pension early from work .now lost all lump sum I gt from work.right mess now,xmas round corner no money ,4 kids expecting loads wth money from work ,plus promised all holiday ,gt passports ,sadly no money left fr hols,behind rend ,c.tax ,ect ,ect.havent gt lue what to do.really down,
I'm in the same boat. Slots is the problem for me. I gamble much more than we can afford and even go without food sometimes. I have little ones too and I could be spending it on them instead. I know it is a sickness, I have always been addicted to negative behaviour (drinking for example) and now slots is the latest in self destructiveness.

Hope you find your way out of this doubletwo
twins Wrote:I'm in the same boat. Slots is the problem for me. I gamble much more than we can afford and even go without food sometimes. I have little ones too and I could be spending it on them instead. I know it is a sickness, I have always been addicted to negative behaviour (drinking for example) and now slots is the latest in self destructiveness.

Hope you find your way out of this doubletwo
thanks twins.doesnt look like as yet,got in more debt,over xmas .and really in trouble now,seems like your trying as hard as you can to get out of trouble,but im digging bigger hole,chasing all the time,plus not thinking what its doing to my family.telling myself next bets will get me out,but even when I win,keep telling myself lucks in go for it.doesnt happen.hope you do better than me trying to pack in.
Have you read the 'new to ga' link on the main ga page?........... explains about ga and how it can help?

Sadly recovery never happened for me until i committed to change long term...
Great thing is a GA chair was waiting for me at a meeting when i was ready...
All the best
Smartie xx
If you are serious about wanting to stop gambling them start attending GA meetings. If you think that this forum is going to make you stop then you would be mistaken. It might for a little while but not long.

One thing I can tell you from 25 years of irresponsible gambling however deep a hole I thought I could dig, I could ALWAYS dig a deeper one! Don't think you're any different. Things WILL get worse if you continue to gamble.

If you don't want to witness how it feels to lose everything and everyone around you then it is up to you to make the stand and do whatever there is possible to stop gambling. And, this doesn't mean a meaningless statement in a forum.

I know that last bit might come across as harsh but sometimes we need to have it thrown in our face to see the bigger picture.

Big Dave
taken from the GA book..a new beginning, p1..
The principle instrument by which Gamblers Anonymous conveys its beliefs into action is the Gamblers Anonymous Group Meeting.

No-one is saying GA is the only way...
If you think you can stop another way...good luck to you...
GA is the only way however that has worked for me...
If you want the help, check out your nearest GA meeting...

Smartie xx
I can see this post potentially getting out of hand with people putting their 2 pence-worth in. Whether for or against my rather controversial comment.

You're right Craig, there is no evidence that shows you can stop from using internet-based help alone. To my knowledge nobody has abstained for a reasonable amount of time yet using this method. But, that was not the point I was trying to get across.

The forum will not 'make' anyone one stop but the support network of a GA group will. For sure this forum helps, definitely, without a doubt. If I believed this forum was a waste and was of no help to the suffering compulsive gambler then I would not put the time I do every day into moderating it.

Yes, posting in this forum is a good start but going to a GA meeting is a better one!

I am in no way blinkered either. I do not see GA as 'the only way' like many others and, if the truth be told, like I used to too. A major part of my recovery has been 1 to 1 counselling, which has worked wonders and shed light on many dark areas of my life.

After 25 years of irresponsible gambling I know what does not work for me(in regards to stopping gambling), I cannot, however, say for sure what works best for me in my recovery as I haven't tried everything. So far GA combined with counselling is doing the trick mixed with a large dose of effort.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)