Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken
Your story is a common one. Just like all the other posts on this forum I suggest you go straight to your nearest GA meeting. Unfortunately there is no quick fix. Stopping gambling requires effort and recovery doesn't happen over night.

I am sure others will suggest certain strategies you could adopt to help you stay away from a bet but I am not going to suggest anything else except attending GA meetings. All the tools you need to stop gambling are waiting for you in a GA room but it is down to you to seek them out. Just like it was down to me when I 'needed' to stop. I tried many things before I came to GA, none of them were successful as my addiction was too strong. I had to adopt a new way of thinking and living, and I managed to do this with the guidance I got from GA and its members.

The deep dark hole of despair can ALWAYS be dug deeper! However bad you feel right now, trust me when I say, it can/will get a whole lot worse. After 8 years (yesterday) I have not had a bet, I have not had to lie either, I have not had one single bank charge or not one red letter. Although at first, I was ashamed to admit my addiction, today I am proud to say I am in recovery because I know the amount of effort I have put in. I am not the same person I was 8 years ago, I don't act or think the same way nor do I have the urge to escape whenever problems arise.

I hope you take my advice.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)