Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken
Your story is a common one. Just like all the other posts on this forum I suggest you go straight to your nearest GA meeting. Unfortunately there is no quick fix. Stopping gambling requires effort and recovery doesn't happen over night.

I am sure others will suggest certain strategies you could adopt to help you stay away from a bet but I am not going to suggest anything else except attending GA meetings. All the tools you need to stop gambling are waiting for you in a GA room but it is down to you to seek them out. Just like it was down to me when I 'needed' to stop. I tried many things before I came to GA, none of them were successful as my addiction was too strong. I had to adopt a new way of thinking and living, and I managed to do this with the guidance I got from GA and its members.

The deep dark hole of despair can ALWAYS be dug deeper! However bad you feel right now, trust me when I say, it can/will get a whole lot worse. After 8 years (yesterday) I have not had a bet, I have not had to lie either, I have not had one single bank charge or not one red letter. Although at first, I was ashamed to admit my addiction, today I am proud to say I am in recovery because I know the amount of effort I have put in. I am not the same person I was 8 years ago, I don't act or think the same way nor do I have the urge to escape whenever problems arise.

I hope you take my advice.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)
noel13 Wrote:I've finally given in and posted on here....I just don't know what to do, where to go, or how to fix the problems gambling has created.

It started when I was about 18 with a couple of quid here and there on the football. Nothing major or worrying. I then went to Uni at the age of 19 where during my 2nd year I discovered online routlette. This has been my downfall ever since.

It started so well, with small stakes I was winning. As a student I thought great, this can pay for the food this week. However as well all know, when you start winning the stakes increased. I ended up losing lots, and have been chasing ever since.

Sure I've had the occasional big win, but I'd lose it all and more in the next day and week.

I graduated last year with not a penny to my name and a maxed out overdraft. Somehow I had managed to keep this hidden and scraped by. I got a job and was now having regular income.......a bad thing for a gambler!! I had to borrow some money from the bank to buy a car and move down south for my grad job, I thought that to pay this off quickly I was going to 'win' some money gambling. What a foolish thought.

Since August 2013 I have been gambling pretty much every day. Losing. Not living. Easy access to credit cards online and loans. Who would have though the banks would give money out so easily. Soon enough I had 4 credit cards and another loan, this time 5 figures. I thought I'll just get back to even and then pack it in. No chance. I was hooked.

What frustrates me is the ease of it all. You can do it from your home, on your phone. Its too easy and so addictive. Being able to deposit from a credit card too.....asking for trouble. I have made so many mistakes that I just don't know where to go.

I am now back in my hometown with a new job, and have moved back in with the rents to 'save money'. They don't know anything.

I am now a great deal in debt, all from gambling. The pain of this is killing me. I've pretty much screwed myself for the next 5 years.

From the outside it seems to be going well, with a job, girlfriend, family and prospects. But this deep dark secret is killing me and I don't know what to do. I want to stop. I've said so many times that its, I quit, but always go back.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Yes don't see any mention of GA in your post Noel? Have you looked how GA works?
Lots of information on Main GA page...

As Dave suggests..maybe check out some of your nearest meetings and maybe some not so near ones too??

Smartie xx