Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My name is Simmo
Thank you for your kind words Micky,

I sometimes find it strange to witness the changes in myself, some big changes, some small. Little things like I actually go to the shops and buy presents for people and put thought and care into it, I used to either leave it to my wife to sort out, or just grab anything last minute. I am able to have adult conversations and actually listen to the other persons point of view and not throw my toys out the pram if it doesn't fit with what was in my head. I'm starting to feel true compassion and empathy for people, I was gratefully able to go to a concert recently and the joy I got from seeing how others were happy was alien to me, life isn't all about me after all.

Recovery is more than just stopping gambling, and I am humbly grateful to be in recovery.

One day at a time

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
Simmo, you are awesome! A credit to this forum, and a credit to the GA programme.

I feel very differently too now, I can only imagine the highs once you are as long clear as you.
(30-05-2018, 09:47 PM)StrengthToStop Wrote: Simmo, you are awesome! A credit to this forum, and a credit to the GA programme.

I feel very differently too now, I can only imagine the highs once you are as long clear as you.

Thanks for you kind words STS, very much appreciated, I'm just working the program mate, and giving back what was given to me freely.  I couldn't stop gambling on my own, after many attempts, but within the fellowship of GA, we can all help each other achieve what did not seem possible on our own.  

Life is more of a plateau with less violent ups and downs, yet, it's far from boring, I get so much more out of life without gambling, especially time with my family.  I wasted so much time whilst gambling and it's the most valuable commodity that will run out for us all one day.

In Unity 

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
The more I work at recovery, the less I find myself expecting from others to help me. The realisation that I get more out of the GA program by helping others than expecting others to help me is enlightening. By sharing my experience with recovery, I hope that others can take something away from my journey. I was hopelessly unable to stop gambling and after trying for years, never really got it, until I went to rehab, and regularly attended GA.

Keep going to meetings, share you thoughts and feelings about gambling and life in general, integrate the 12 steps into your life and things can change for the better.

just for today I will not gamble, one day at a time.

Simmo
(01-06-2018, 07:19 PM)BEEP Ositiv Wrote: New to this.  All of your comments make sense.
Less than a week for me since I gambled and will be trying  hard to follow your lead.

Hi BEEP Ositiv

Have you found your nearest meeting and attending?  It's your journey, and it will be different from mine, but I will help where I can.

In Unity 

Simmo
In order to remain in recovery, it's important to me to keep current in my mind where gambling would take me. Urges come and go, and it's the occasions when I find myself thinking, maybe I could have a bet and control it this time!!!! Quite quickly I have to work on this thought, as I know exactly where the first bet will take me, and it would do much more than financial damage.

So if I was to place a single bet, what would happen? If it won, I'd instantly get that irrational belief that I can win everytime I bet, and bet bigger next time. If it lost, I'd instantly get the irrational belief that it's ok, I'll win it back on the next bet and bet bigger to cover my losses. This would then continue until I've exhausted all avenues of finance, and most likely be very unpleasant company around my loved ones, pushing them away, and then the suicidal thoughts will be back, this time I might not be so lucky to stop them and get help. Gambling is no longer an option for me, as win or lose I WILL lose my mental wellbeing that I've been trying hard to regain in recovery.

I won't place a bet today, today is all I have. Just for today I will not gamble, one day at a time.

I will be going to at least one GA meeting this week, to find out how everyone else's week has been, and share my week, I will seek out where I can be of service.

In Unity
Simmo
It's a great feeling when you help someone online about getting to a meeting to find them sitting next to you at the very next meeting.

In Unity, One day at a time

Simmo
Having been off of gambling for over 27 months, I'm quite confident that gambling isn't the cause of my recent increase in anxiety. It's got really bad over the last few weeks, but I'm aware of it now and putting things in place to deal with it. I've got some counselling sessions booked up next week to start CBT specifically related to anxiety. All the times I had counselling in the past, they were ineffective (other than the abuse counselling I had since being in recovery) because no matter what was explored or advised as actions to take, I didn't really listen or take note, as I was still avoiding it all by gambling.

During the increased anxiety days, almost every day for the last 2 weeks, the urges to gamble have increased. This is a learned behaviour from most of my adult life, as I used to gamble to escape from anxious thoughts. Not today, yes I have been having urges, almost daily, but the tools I have in place from working the GA program and having the support and care of others in the rooms, I can openly talk about them. I often actually laugh at myself, look in the mirror "what are you thinking?" Gambling will not make anxiety better, I KNOW it will only make it worse in the long run. So whilst I've been having urges lately, I'm still not gambling today, I have no desire to gamble even though part of my mind tries to convince me that it would be ok.

Just for today, I will not gamble

One day at a time

Simmo
Well done Simmo for finding another route through your anxiety rather than escaping into gambling. Keep up your good work.
How do I stop gambling?

Honesty.
Open-minded.
Willingness.

Chris.
I keep hearing "it's coming home" and I'm starting to believe this could be true. My home meeting is on Wednesday and whilst I'd love to watch the game with my kids and or friends, it may have been 28 years since we last got to the semi final of the world cup, but there are also people still suffering with gambling addiction and someone could just turn up on the door asking for help. So, I will be opening up what I expect to be a very quite meeting, there is a good 4G connection so I can still watch the football, but I will be there, for anyone who turns up. Ga has helped me get my life back after I spent a good few years hell bent on destroying it, just for today I will not gamble.

One day at a time

Simmo