Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
compulsive gambling dad, should I lend him money?
Hi, Helen here, a recovering compulsive gambler who hasn't had a bet today nor for the last 10 years because of a wonderful program called GA.
To answer you a couple of questions - You said your father was ill but now better - well if he is still gambling he is very, very sick. NO, do not lend him any of your hard earned money, maybe offer to buy him some food or pay his rent. You must never feel any guilt about his gambling, you or your family must realize that this unfortunate man has a serious illness that if not treated will eventually kill him. It is never too late for him to go and get help and really he needs to get himself along to a GA meeting but unfortunately some people suffer with this illness all of their life and eventually die whilst still in action (how sad). I know of people in their 70's and 80's who attend meetings and some of these people gambled into their 60's or even later. Get you Dad some literature and tell him that you love him but that you want him to get well.
I hope that I have answered some of your questions and am sure other people will come along and offer more.
You and your family take care.
Your friend in GA fellowship
Helen

Messages In This Thread
compulsive gambling dad, should I lend him money? - by Guest - 11-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Re: compulsive gambling dad, should I lend him money? - by helen - 12-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Re: compulsive gambling dad, should I lend him money? - by Poster David - 19-09-2010, 03:25 PM