Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didn't I come here years ago?
I am Gregg, I am 29 years old and a compulsive gambler. My last bet was Sunday 3rd April.
I have always had many issues in my life, depression, alcohol/recreational drug abuse, irrational behaviour, I am manipulative & selfish to the extreme. I thought I was wired up wrong, I thought it was genetics but I now know that all of the issues in my life are due to gambling. I only realised this today. This forum has been so beneficial already.
I have gambled since I can remember, my Nan & Grandad taking me to the coast from a very early age & spending most nights in the arcade or bingo halls. I loved it.
I left school at 16 (despite above average grades) and went to work, my wages would be gone every Friday before I even made it home from work. I would borrow money to survive a basic existence, then do it all again the following week.
13 years on and I'm worse than ever, I gamble EVERYTHING on ANYTHING.
I spent the whole of Mothers Day in an arcade, I didnt even call my Mum, let alone see her. I spent every available penny and contemplated crashing the car on the way home to avoid dealing with it.
That is my biggest problem....DEALING WITH IT. I have never been good with facing up to my demons, I am the classic head burier. When things go wrong I run away, I once left for nearly 3 years because I didnt have the courage to talk to my family. I have not opened a bank statement for the last 5 years.
I will be attending my first GA meeting on Wednesday, I dont feel nervous or aprehensive, I almost wish I was there right now.
I can honestly say that for today I did not gamble. A very rare statement I hope to say everyday.

Messages In This Thread
Why didn't I come here years ago? - by futureplz - 04-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Re: Why didn't I come here years ago? - by andy again - 05-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Re: Why didn't I come here years ago? - by Barrieexgambler - 06-04-2011, 01:19 AM
Re: Why didn't I come here years ago? - by futureplz - 07-04-2011, 05:44 PM